Should I Keep Up With A Golf R MK7

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by MorganJames, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Friend of mind recently got a stock Golf R and last night we went for a run to get some petrol. From a standing start i couldn't touch him which is to be expected with AWD. But from rolling i seemed to keep up and if not edge it a bit. From my knowledge the Megane is stock, but after this im thinking it may be mapped?

I know the only way to find out if it is mapped is to get it on a RR but just made me think!

Mish View likes this.
  2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Lighter car, 2WD and not a huge amount less power so sounds abiut right really.

MorganJames likes this.
  3. my mapped R26 with 265hp keeps up through the gears with Golf R`s....Like you say though..they leave you standing from a standing start.

MorganJames likes this.
  4. My R26 has around 280 and I push them down the road. Wouldn't beat one off the line though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

5. My r26 is only about 240 bhp but chasing a mk7.5 R down a twisty B road (albeit one I know very well) near me last summer he could pull away slightly out of a corner or on a bit of a straight but under braking and around corners I had to back off to avoid running into him!
    Got into the next village where he turned right at a mini island gave me a filthy look as I’d easily kept up with him, I maybe didn’t help matters by shouting out my window ‘I thought they were supposed to be quick’ though :tearsofjoy:

TigerRonin, MorganJames and Agreen like this.
  6. It's one car I would never buy in my lifetime. Boring as hell [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

MorganJames likes this.
  7. Very close on bhp per tonne. Ironically whaf the golf has going for it once moving is its fwd most of the time meaning it does not suffer from transmission losses of 4wd. But as said a little heavier as carrying the 4wd gubbins about all the time.

MorganJames likes this.
  8. nice car to live with all year round..years ahead of the megane in refinement.But i have never heard anyone say its a exciting car.My mate has just chopped in his 400hp 7.5 for a M2 comp...he never liked the golf..even with all that power.Efficient,effortlessly fast..but just detached.

MorganJames likes this.
  9. I took an R out when I was changing from my 330i. That was 271bhp straight 6. Also had my wife's 301bhp subaru to drive. Golf was lacking in character and interior was not as nice as 330i. Although way better than subaru.

So went to a v8 m3 instead. Now to a Cup-S.

Golf probably best all rounder. But other cars with more character of fun.

Interestingly the golf gti with performance pack is pretty rapid. Again due to weight.significantly lighter than R and I think even meg. May be down on power but very torque from low revs. So torque to weight. Probably highest of all.

Most of these cars fall around the 200 bhp/tonne marker.

I wasout in a 140i the other day and that was uncomfortably fast. Combo of no lag with massive power and torque with seamless 8 speed.

kyleralph078 and MorganJames like this.
  10. the 140i is another car people seem to `trade up` to...but sell them on quickly.
    another friend bought one brand new..but traded it in after a year for a Civic type R..said it was blisteringly fast,but lacking in driver involvement..

MorganJames likes this.
  11. I have an rs250 and when it was standard I done a roll race from 30 and 50 mph with a mk 7.5 golf r (DSG) and the golf pulled ahead by around 3 car lengths every time.

I've now done a couple of mods and had a remap to 310bhp and since raced an Audi tts with a tuning box believed to be circa 350bhp and was side by side and last night raced a stock Audi s3 saloon ( so all the same/similar platform ) and left it for dead!

Based on my experience I'd say you may have a map or tuning box on your 250 but maybe no supporting mods so maybe mapped to around 290bhp or if your friends golf r is manual then that would weigh things out and even it up so your car may be stock.

MorganJames likes this.
  12. I think from a flying start , taking a stock 265/275 megane , and a stock manual golf R , the megane is faster ( just a little ) . on the track, the golf is just a joke and as for tuned ones, from my experience on my last 2019 trackday in belgium , a 400hp golf R DSG estate ( claimed by the owner )... was just a tiny tiny spec in my mirror .. im running 311 hp and 473 nm .... meggy's weight is 1340-1350 no driver in the car , almost full tank... soooo conclusion is : never buy a golf ...

MorganJames likes this.
  13. In some ways the Meganes relative lack of engine tunability allows it to remain a well balanced package. I hate to think what these other cars are like at 450bhp. Great in straight line. But i cannot imagine many drivers can utilise on the road.

Only one manufacturer made its Ltd edition halo model by stripping weight and adding no power.

Mish View likes this.