Short Shifter recommend MK3 250

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by hymhui, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Hi guys, i'm new for Megane and it's so exciting to own one! Checking all the forum and page there are few brand selling short shifter like Zero.point.one, do you guys have any recommendation and best price? Is it difficult for self installation? thank you

2. If its a "short shift" your after you can do this yourself
    If its the skeleton type you want, i think there's only 2 makes and are expensive

3. Attached Files:

4. ZPO and you'd need good level of mechanics not only to fit but to fine tune once installed

DOOOOK likes this.
  5. BB4A4BE5-0558-4148-92BE-0FC21A48490C.png I’ve just bought the new Coolerworx version. £485. More of a palatable price for me.

6. Now that a more reasonable price :sunglasses:

7. What was it like to fit and set up ???

8. how so cheap mate?

9. I just found Megane shifters for 700 + , where did you find the cheap one?

10. I didn't, at that price i will stick with my standard gear lever and the short shift mod

11. About the CAE and similar shifters, I thought about and would very like to drive one, don´t know anybody over here in Germany who has one close to me. Apart from that, I´m not doubting about the shifter technologies. Basically, it´s not a question if the stock shifter maybe a bit sloppy or long shifter travels. Some guys are Talking about the CAE gives a feeling alike a real dog box. But what happens with the gearbox inside? It´s a stock gearbox what needs time to sychnronise the different revs of both gearshafts to each other. That takes time. If you have a very short shifter, you are going to force the gear in position independant if it has finished the sychronisation or not completed. The shifting operation happens with a small amount of violence. I´m aware that the feeling might be very "racing" and firm, but the gearbox internals will be overstressed over a longer time unless you are shifting very carefully. Don´t misunderstand me: The CAE-shifter is a very nice piece of art, really high quality. It would be the perfect solution together with a dog box what is designed to perform lightning-quick gearchanges. The advantage of the CAE maybe that the guideline of the shifter is very precious and the travel is very short, so the driver will be misleaded to shift quicker than the gearbox is designed for. Probably somebody has an CAE for a longer time and can tell if his gearbox is ok or worn out or if the sychronisation start making crash noise, any experience will be appreciated. I have to admit that I´m not that happy with my gearbox, sometimes there are misshifts and getting stuck. Maybe that will be influenced by engine movements once riding hard.

12. What was it like fitting? It looks the pms one for the 182s? Lots of fiddling to get the gears in right place?

13. Hi mate was this easy to setup? How does it feel to drive, I agree the price is a bit more easy on the wallet lol cheers

14. I can report that fitting a ZPO shifter has transformed my gear change from medium pace to a substantially quicker experience up and down the box repeatedly. Zero syncro issues and box is silky smooth in all gears the shiffter is a revelation and now couldn't live with out it. These aftermarket devices are precision made to a higher degree than the reno system they are fitted to

This means there are provisos, mainly disregarding the manufacturers oil change intervals and religiously replacing oil every 10k miles
    The others are making sure some of woeful factory fitting are modified to ensure precision input and that means making sure there's no play even slightest in things like plastic cable ends and the dreadful plastic bridge on gearbox that I reinforced with a steel strap, also greasing the two ball studs on selector arms make good difference, do all that with result in super fast and precise gear box shifting for years.

Liam90 and dave77 like this.
  15. Its a good quality item, the fitting instructions are a bit basic but you can look at the CAE instructions. Much nicer drive with a very solid shift feeling. Much nicer than OEM

dave77 likes this.
  16. I've one ordered, should be here tomorrow, I also ordered the cae cover plate, I heard they fit with minor adjustments, I got it from ktec, do you have a short shifter fitted to the gearbox? I do so don't know if it will work correctly, I've the parts on their way too put the selector back to stock anyway

Sent from my CPH2025 using Tapatalk

17. some ppl actually like the two short shift applied together could maybe fit your coolerwork and give it a go, if its stupidly short and for you then remove gearbox arm back to factory fit

dave77 likes this.
  18. I've had a CAE for about two years now and my car spends 90% of its time at the track. Gearbox is still in place.

From my understanding is that it would place less stress on the gearbox parts because the tolerances of manufacture are so much higher and more precise than OEM. The one caveat though, is when fitting it needs to be done with detailed precision. If you do a generic fit without individual detail, then it will stress the components and not feel like it should.

bobsan likes this.
  19. Did you Setup and adjust the shifter Yourself doook

20. No way! I am a muppet when it comes to that. I had arguably the best in Oz do it for me; RenoTech.

Expert technicians with a passion for Renault that go above and beyond.

21. There seems to be little info on actual adjustment. The instructions are vague at best. I can imagine many fit it in and don’t adjust.

22. Exactly! I only knew this once the guys explained to me what was required to fit. If they weren’t happy with it, they would have taken it out and I would have fully trusted them.

23. I think I'll give it a go bobsan, it arrived yesterday looks awsome I can't wait to get it in the car 6cc464cacd9e6fdc4464330aea97758e.jpg

Beau likes this.
  24. They are v nicely made, nothing to loose and if it’s too short just refit the original gear arm
    Good luck with horrid battery tray and use open ended spanner flick two cable ends off the box saves damaging them

25. Did you have to remove the white plastic block from the end of the right hand selector cable and replace it with the one in the bag I take it? Thanks cd3819f1f34d475adb0d18a3057d03b5.jpg

26. Yea got it fitted last night feels fine with the short shifter installed it's not stupidly short at all feels good, so I'll just keep it

27. Fin [emoji3590] 3a31c4520ba4922085dfcccf4f4a7638.jpg

28. where did you get it from for that price

dave77 likes this.
  29. I have the CAE shifter 8 years now , 1200 laps on the Nurburgring , 135000km and never had a problem...

oldschoolracer, dave77 and DOOOOK like this.
  30. My mate has the coolerworx shifter in his Bmw and he loves it. Thinking of getting one of these for my 250 cup.

31. Hi dixie, a bit off off Topic, but your mileage on the Nürburgring is amazing, are you German?
    Would you share your experiences with your car that long time in racing conditions? Would be strongly interested what failures / issues came up over that time.....24000 km on Nordschleife is unbelievable !