Short shift mod problem. Gear Linkage keeps popping off. Help required!!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by jpmad4it, Apr 21, 2015.

1. R26 Short shift mod problem. Gear Linkage keeps popping off. Help required!!

Hi all,

I had my short shift mod done about 4 years ago. The problem is that about 2 years ago the gear linkage lead kept popping off the ball on the gear selector bracket. Aarons autos patched it up by zip tying it up and its been ok for 2 years ......but tonight the zip tie has snapped. I've tried and tried to get another zip tie on there but no matter how I position it, it just won't stay on and / or the gears wont select properly. So after about 2 hours I had to give up after shredding my arms to s**t.

Do Renault do a replacement for the end of the gear linkage i.e. the round socket / slot which the ball on the gear selector bracket fits into it? Or do they only provide the full gear linkage as one part, and is that a big job to change?

Any help would be great as at the moment the car is off the road because I can't select any gears!!!! :mad:

Cheers

Jp

EDIT: this is the part i'm referring to:
    MeganeShortShifter001.jpg

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  2. Take the linkage off , try and get a new ball that has a slightly larger shaft, or even a much larger shaft which you can lathe down to size, you want it slight larger because then if you heat the linkage up the hole will enlarge and then you can drop the new ball into it, when it loses temp it will clamp down real tight mate and you should not have any more probs. it will be trial and error for shaft size mate as I don't know how much that hole has worn.

Of course you could always thread both parties and then Loctite :rolleyes:

soz read it wrong , the ball is fine yeah , its the other part , soz ignore me dohhhhhhh lol

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  3. rms

rms

Just a suggestion, maybe someone can confirm this. Is it possible that the end is the same on other renaults. Not sure if is possible to get one from a breakers and try to swop the internal clip mechanism in the socket. I remember when refitting mine that it needed a good push down to get it to clip in. Is it possible the the socket is bottoming out on the linkage and not allowing the clip to engage.

4. I think you should be able to push the Orange part of the eye end out and replace it, if you turn the cable over and have a look im guessing some of the fingers that clamp on the ball will have broken, I think you could get one from the breakers and replace it.

5. Thanks guys. Yeah I turned the cable over and looked inside the clip, I can't see anything that would allow it to clip on so I'm guessing the clipping mechanism has just worn away.

Can anyone confirm if this clip comes off and is replaceable? Or whether I need a whole new linkage ?

Cheers