175 DCI Short Shift Help! 250 owners help required :)

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by CJ_RSport, Sep 24, 2020.

1. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Afternoon guys,

I'm wondering if any of the 250 lads can help me out. I've attempted the short shift and got it in the wrong place. so I've another part to drill and fit the ball. I went too far over on the one on the box at the moment. As 1st, 3rd and 5th were minimal movement and jump out too easily. where as 2nd, 4th 6th were shorter but not equal to the rest.

Is anyone with a working mod able to do some measurements for me so I can get this right. Its been niggling me for ages now and really want the short shift mod complete as my DCi runs the same box.

I can then do a guide for future people looking to do this mod with measurements, pictures etc

Thanks in advance

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

if you draw or imagine a line from the ball that is already there and the centre of the shift shaft, then 20mm from the original ball along that line is where you need to drill your hole, its just on the fold in the arm.

upload_2020-9-24_20-0-47.png

RsMarley, CJ_RSport and manugtt like this.
  3. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Wicked thanks Ian, I think i know where i went wrong now as looking at your pic my hole is more towards the bottom of the picture. :smile: I'll get the spare one drilled painted and whacked in next week

4. ianplymouth

By keeping the new ball inline it will keep the neutral position of the gear lever where is was, by moving it off of that line it will either move the neutral position forward or back, if you move it too far then the you might be over reaching the gear lever movement, thus not engaging the gear fully.

Thought i had a better pic somewhere but i can't find it :pensive:

CJ_RSport likes this.
  5. CJ_RSport

CJ_RSport RSM Moderator

Yeah thats exactly where i went wrong first time. problem on the DCi is they have a big piece of metal over the box where the 250 doesnt. my short shift kept jumping out of the top row of gears 1,3,5. will get it done right this time :smile: thanks again for your help buddy

ianplymouth likes this.
  6. ianplymouth

I did this mod on my DCi that i had, (someone on here has it now), even the wife liked the shorter shift :laughing: