Short shift fitting problem

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ChrisC, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Hi everyone,

so ive just fitted my engine dynamics short shift.
    Job wasn't too bad overall. I've read about the tightening up the bolts too tight on refit. So I made sure I was careful.
    Ive only nibbed them up to kind of how tight they was when taking it apart. But one of the bolts on tightening it as I went to nip just went loose again. It was barely tight, I haven't been heavy handed, and used a small 3/8 ratchet to make sure I didn't break/thread a bolt.
    It will come undone still and the thread on the bolt is fine. I think it's the gearbox side, will tbis be ok done up but not tight? Just get it to the bit where it spins? Till I can get a threading tool and tap the thread.
    As I say all the others are fine and tight.

Also did anyone else find it a bit notchy with this fitted? It's definitely a lot shorter.
    Just doesn't feel very smooth. Will this improve?

Chris

2. cant help you on the fitting mate as i didnt fit it myself, but mine feels notchy but my other short shifter was the same so assuming its normal?

i got used to it fairly quickly though.

hope you get it sorted mate.

3. Ahh ok then, maybe it's just normal then on the feeling. Did it ease up at all with use?

4. it eases up a bit i would say but not much

5. Mine is very notchy but I prefer it to how it was before.

6. Not fitted one to the Renault, but previously had one on another car & had exactly the same feeling & didn't get on with it so reverted back to the standard one.

7. So the original shift is better but too long a throw, im not sure a shorter stiffer action is better?
    i havent tried a short shift on a megane so cant decide if the original shift is that bad

8. I modified my original shifter. Smoother and shorter now. It's perfect.

9. The short shift mod is fantastic. Mine is not notchy at all. One of the best mods for the megane.

10. Agree- this is the Engine Dyanimics one they are on about I think - its a very different design.

11. chalk and cheese compared to andrewjeffs mod..

12. For people that have fitted the short shift from engine dynamics would you consider selling the original actuator arm ?
    If so drop me a pm with a price.
    Thanks

13. We had our concerns when this appeared on the market.
    The standard actuator we used to modify for phase 2 cars(2006 on),is quite a weighty item..its heavy for a reason,to synchronize the actuator movement with the gear selected.
    This new item is very light,so the actuator is moving to fast,for the gear selection to keep up,hence the notchy shift.

If this was fitted to a early 2004-2005 car,which had a much smaller,similar linkage,i suspect it would be fine,as the actuator in these cars had a double spring design on it actuator, to cope with the light weight linkage arm.
    DSCF2830_zps576ca2a0.jpg

phase 2 on the left..phase 1 on the right..note the double spring design.

S5000710.jpg
    note the size and weight of the standard linkage arm for a phase 2 car.

IMG_5349Large.jpg
    As you can see,the phase 1 linkage is much smaller and lighter,and very similar in weight to the engine dynamics item.

14. The standard shift is awful..vague and long.
    A modified standard linkage transforms the shift to a short,positive action.
    There really is no comparison.

15. Wish you were still making them, there doesn't seem to be any decent ones being made.

16. Ktec have one they brought out in Oct, its ridic expensive, but its f-ing epic.

17. Its a direct copy of mine,the reason its so expensive is you get the entire linkage/actuator assembly.
    The linkage/assembly alonr costs £130 from Renault alone.

So figure this in to the price,and its not to bad a value.

18. Its a direct copy of mine,the reason its so expensive is you get the entire linkage/actuator assembly.
    The linkage/assembly alone costs £130 from Renault alone.

So figure this in to the price,and its not to bad a value.

19. Blame the idiots that even now, still havnt returned there exchanges 4/5 months
    after they had received a modified linkage..

20. Me too. I wanted to do this as I'm convinced it's better than the short shift fitted to the 'R.

21. Someone offersa good service and a few ruined it for the rest of us

22. It is,the pivot point is taken to the absolute maximum on our linkage.
    The R26R is slightly set back which probably makes the shift a fraction smoother,but it will be a longer throw.

23. If the 2 we had outstanding had ever showed up,we were going to sell the linkages outright..
    as 5 linkages sat around might as well be door stops.

24. Never had any problems with foreign buyers...linkages went to austrailia,hong kong,france belgium poland etc and always got good comms and prompt returns.
    Trouble is,as the meganes get more affordable
    ,they fall into the hands of selfish kids, that simply dont care about other peoples property,as long as they are alright.

25. I wonder if the K Tec one is the same as yours then. I'd be tempted to get one if it was. Although the R shift is better than standard, it bugs me knowing it can be better.

26. Andrew would you sell an unmodified linkage?

27. It is the same..its a direct copy of mine..was always going to happen at some point with cars fitted with my shortshift being serviced.
    Doesnt take a genius to realize the difference in gear shift.

28. Will speak to the lads that did my machining..
    i only used to run it as a favor to the boys,as they are good friends of mine.

29. Ok thanks mate, much appreciated.

30. Yeah completely agree, plus you don't have to have your car off the road, and you have a spare linkage to sell or keep to sell on the short shifter in the future. With a tank of Vpower being £60 a pop I still think its a must have

31. Thought I would update everyone on this, in the week I had spoke with Engine dynamics, Andy I think it was. And he was surprised about the notchy feeling, he said their test and development car was an r26 and he said they never had any notchy was at all, and he said they actually positioned theirs slightly different to the Andrewjeffs one so it won't be quite as short which would result in a smoother throw but the difference was negotianable and you probably wouldn't really notice, I told him about the bolt issue and after a discussion I said it inspect it further and go back to him.

Since I was removing the battery this weekend to fit new engine mounts and do few other bits I thought I'd check this out a bit further. And after reading about bolts being over tightened can cause notchy shifts j wanted to back them off.
    In my first post I mentioned about one of the bolts and threads being a bit "loose". And I wanted to get this off and have a closer look.
    We removed the selector again so we could see the thread a bit better and it turns out the top part of the thread in the box was a bit mashed, and the bolt was holding onto like 3 threads at the bottom which is why it wasn't tightening fully because the bolt wasn't quite long enough.
    We got the tap and die set out to clean up the thread on the box, after cleaning it out. There was a good bit of thread at the bottom, and it was just the top 4mm or so. We decided to get a longer bolt out, checked it all out with that to make sure it wasn't too long etc all was fine. I refitted the selector and trialled the new bolt for tightness, that was spot on and it tightens fully now. So we popped the bolt back out to apply some thread lock for safe measures and then did it back up. I made sure all bolts were not overly tight, just a small wratchet and nibbed them up. Connected everything back up.

Then it was that time, the moment of truth lol. I sat in the drivers seat and went through the gears (engine was off still) and it was perfect, very smooth and tight, neatural moved side to side as normal too where as before it didn't want to do this.

Refitted all the battery, Ecu, checked bolts over on engine mounts. and went for driver again it was so much better than before, not notchy at all, it feels like it just needs a couple of drives to ease up as it did this previously.

So all in all im quite happy with the engine dynamics short shifter, will keep an eye over it on the next few drives (which takes me a couple of weeks lol) and see How it goes, I'm sure it can only get better :smile:

With there being a limited amount of original shifters to be modified this is certainly a great replacement.

32. Any news on this , how are other people finding these short shift kits?

33. Sooner have the one from boardy, no teething probs and an amazing feel all that weight is there for a reason me thinks, nice n tight and precise, bargain for the price....

34. Hi all, new owner. Slightly confused as to who is or isn't selling these short shifters?

Is there anyone that mods if I send my linkage away? Or is it ktec/dynamics only?

Thanks

35. Boardy on here will do it for you is you fire him a pm, may take a few days to turn it around though

36. Ok great thanks.