250 Shock lifespan

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Charlie Howard, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

What's the average shock lifespan in the MK3s? Think of getting some springs but now I've hit 40k I think it might just be better to get coilovers to change the shocks too.

2. Pretty sure I’m on the original shocks and the drivers one has just started to weep so so slowly. 75k miles.

3. Charlie Howard

Not sure if my rears are getting tired, 40k seems early to me but I don't really want to change springs and then a few months later have to do it all again. 75k seems like a good number

4. Mine have done 60k and aren’t leaking but it’s starting to feel a bit floaty

5. Charlie Howard

Similar to how mine feel. Will probably just stick coilovers in it. Never installed coilovers before though so not sure how hard it'll be in the 250

6. On UK roads probably couple hundred miles

7. Charlie Howard

:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

8. My drivers side front started to leak at 100,000 km mark.
    To fit coil overs you will need a hoist, 2 people and 4-5 hours. Sub frame needs to be dropped.

9. Charlie Howard

I spoke to CGR and they said the subframe doesn't have to be dropped

10. My dampers are on 112,000 miles... and they feel tight. I inspected them last week wheels off and no leaks or defects. Car handles excellently down a country road still with no 'bounce' at all, though not tested on racetrack yet.

Though my car has been driven on the motorway mostly... until I got it! Driving through Bristol every day presents a different challenge for it so I dunno how long they'll be good for!

Lowering springs may put more stress on the dampers as they sat off their design point (consistently compressed compared to stock). Though I don't think there has been many issues seen as they're designed for high load track work. I'd inspect them with the wheels off and if no defects I'd keep em and fit the lowering springs until you spot/feel a functional defect. You may risk not getting as good-er dampers as stock if you replace with coilovers..

11. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Don't know how you done it but it definitely doesn't need the subframe dropped or two people to do it

Corby G likes this.
  12. Charlie Howard

It does require holes to be cut for the top mounts though.

13. As said no subframe movement needed the top mount hole will need enlarging if fitting adjustable mounts and of course not if just fitting lo spring

14. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not necessarily, depends on the coilovers really and if you want it easy to get access to adjust geo or not

15. Sadly it does require enlargement the generic chassis hole is tiny and impossible to access an aftermarket adjustable top mount clamping bolts, even after enlarging it’s still tight getting hex keys upto adjusters

16. Charlie Howard

I mean yeah if you don't want access then you don't but then what's the point in getting adjustable top mounts?

17. Exactly and as we know these cars absolutely thrive on a bit of camber

18. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Cause you stick them to max then go an enjoy [emoji23]

19. camber to max...rev needle to max...only way to really enjoy these things

20. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Credit card to the max fixing them [emoji38]

That's maybe just me

21. Charlie Howard

Anyone suggest replacing top mounts at the same time?

22. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

May as well, I'd chuck some silver project ones on though, cheap and give you some camber

23. Charlie Howard

Got a link to them Jamie? Couldn't see them on Kamracing or a Google search

24. You can get them on ebay

25. Charlie Howard

I must be searching the wrong thing but when I search silver project top mount megane I get no results

26. Charlie Howard

Problem with them is you have to cut holes to adjust them, or take them out to adjust

27. Charlie Howard

Or at they easy to setup before installation as the last thing I want is having to take it all apart again as I've set it up wrong!

28. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Not with them.

Remove the single bolt that's underneath before they get fitted, that's just to hold everything in place, to adjust you just loosen up the 3 topmount bolts then adjust and tighten up.

29. Charlie Howard

So you can set them up when already installed on the car? Or easy to setup before?

30. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

You can adjust them on the car easily enough, but d just set them to max when installing them though, Don't get massive camber with them but enough to notice

31. Charlie Howard

So to set the camber do they just slide left and right?

32. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yes, as long as you remove the retaining bolt on the underside before they get fitted

33. Charlie Howard

Thanks, what does max camber do to tyre life and handling?

34. Charlie Howard

Reuse dust boots or no?

35. mk2 but done 97k miles on original shocks. No leaking anywhere, and still quite reasonable damping overall. Passed the MOT equivalent of Sweden without a problem. Only changing them now as I'm doing a full suspension overhaul to be "future proof" for some time. Seems it depends a lot on what kind of driving is involved. For example, on this particular car and its 97k miles absolutely nothing has ever been replaced on the suspension, and always it's passed the "MOT" without fault.