Selling a car to abroad - ok or scam?

Discussion in 'Megane Discussion' started by chappers2000, Nov 20, 2023.

1. Hi all,
    Someone from Poland mailed me about wanting my car and needs my address to calculate shipping costs for it to be shipped by road by a private shipping company after payment.
    I have no other details - just their email address.
    Being naturally cautious, not sure whether this is a scam or genuine? If genuine, still worried about sharing my address and then even more worried about sharing details to allow payment. Not even looked yet at things like v5c document requirements.
    Any advice welcome.

2. Surely if they would be going to that expense they’d want to come and look at it first?
    Shouldn’t need your full address for shipping anyway, just your nearest main town should do.

3. Just give an address down the road. Tell him you’ll provide it once you’ve spoken about money

4. Thanks guys. Yeah you would have thought you would come over and look at it. Will maybe just provide a nearest town for shipping and try and get some more information.

5. Germy

Germy RSM Club Member

I sold a car abroad via ebay once. Guy bid, paid and eventually flew to the UK to collect. Drove it home.

It took him about 4 months to eventually collect it and then he gave me crap for not keeping it clean for him. Then he blew it up on the way home and gave me more crap.

I'd never sell to someone overseas again, it's just not worth the hassle IMHO

6. Have to agree. Last enquiry was Abdoual apparently on honeymoon and wanting to give the car as a gift to his graduating brother, but please send over your details! I think not! Had some genuine interest but don't want to drop the price that much as I am in no rush to sell, and am still enjoying driving it.