Seb's Megane R26 - #2233

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by SebSwainR26, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Thought I'd make a progress thread as I have thousand of pictures of my car and no one ever sees them!

This is my black R26 - #2233, I bought it June last year and has been an awesome car to drive so far!

The car was in good condition, low mileage and the price was right so the offer was too hard to refuse. I also had a Milltek turbo back exhaust and had been mapped from RS Tuning which added to the reasons to buying it!

First thing when I bought it was to take some pics as you do, so here goes......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Decided to park next to another nice looking Megane...... :tongueout:

[​IMG]

My first real modification was to get some Cooksport springs to make the car feel/handle alot better and obviously to close the horrible arch gap!

[​IMG]

And fitted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Couldn't resist washing it after they had been fitted!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Unfortunately then got a puncture in rear and as the fronts were going bald, I bought 4 brand new Michelin Pilot Sport 3's which I have had no problems with and highly recommend! (Love the colour of the spare wheel!!!)

[​IMG]

After I had them fitted, my tax was due and as the car was 5 and 1/2 years old I thought I best get the cambelt and water pump etc done. So headed down to see Mark Black and he sorted me out!

Next on the list was to give the car some proper love and attention and I decided to get it machine polished and detailed by my good friend Dave Taylor, who himself has a red R26 and might be well know to some forum members :smile:

He did it over 3 days, using endless amounts of products so I'll just let the pictures do the talking!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fair to say he did a pretty good job!!

Insurance was then due, so paid that off for the year.

It was then time for a new steering rack as there was so much play in mine, the car hardly turned! Yet another trip to see Mark Black and he sorted me out, spot on as always. At the same time I thought it made sense to get a Milltek decat pipe to complete the exhaust system, so he fitted that too.

[​IMG]

Next it was time to finally do my first track day! So, along with Dave himself we headed down to Donington Park on Sunday 24th November 2013. Thoroughly enjoyable day and will be doing a few more this year that's for sure! :smile:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait to do a few more!!

Lastly, for Christmas I got a set of HEL braided lines and a Sabelt harness and both got fitted straight away!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's all my progress so far and up to date :smile: I do have plans and modifications in mind for this year but MOT is due at the start on February so that is first on the list.

Thanks for reading and I'll update more when updates happen! :smile:

Comments welcome :smile:

4. Very nice . Wish i could get hold of some cooksport springs !

5. Dan

Dan

Looking good

6. Looks spotless mate very nice

7. very nice mate!!! Need to get my black R26 machined!!! The gloss once the swirls are removed is so nice!

8. Cheers mate. Yeah took me a while to get hold of some as they never have them in stock but they're worth waiting for!

Thanks lads! :smile:

Thanks again! I've spent alot of money on cars before and I reckon getting it detailed is one of the best things I've spent money on, looks a completely different colour now :smile:

9. I'm quite into detailing myself so always keep on top of my cars but never machined and would rather not butcher my own pride and joy at my first attempt lol. Being black, after I washed it Thursday the swirls were quite noticeable when the sun actually made a brief appearance. Yours looks like a different car after the polish, will have to spend my money on belts first but hope to get in done before the summer. Does Dave do it for a living or just a hobby?

10. Very nice ,wouldn't mind mine detailing

11. She's a beaut, great thread.

12. Looks good mate i need mine machine polishing but wouldnt really know where to start my car is swirl central atm:worried:
    Any plans for the future ?

13. Nice car bud!

14. Yeah, probs worth trying on old bonnets etc. first if I was you. And he does it just for a hobby at the moment but I'd say he's done about 25/30 cars properly detailed like mine. I know he's on meganesport.net but not on here yet. :smile:

Cheers guys, I love it too! :smiley:

I would recommend getting it machine polished 100%! I have MOT at start of Feb, so I'm waiting until then to see if I have to fix anything if it fails, but touch wood it doesn't! Then I'm thinking the big brake kit from K-Tec and maybe, maybe gold wheels....... :eek:

15. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

Looks cracking. Every time I see a Megane with a Miltek I cry because mine looks shite in comparison.

16. Cheers mate. :smile: Why's that? What's up with yours?

17. Will.

Will. RSM Moderator RSM Moderator

It's standard at the moment. The tips look shocking.

Here's my predicament.

Miltek isn't loud enough for me to warrant spending £500 on. Janspeed do one that is perfect. However can only be bought through K-tec and has K-tec engraved on the tips. I refuse to give my money to those bandits. All other exhausts have oval tips that look cack.

Hopefully the exhaust that Paul @RStuning is developing will suit me :smile:

The Mighty Clam likes this.
  18. There was a link to another supplier but they can't get them anymore as they are now only available through KTEC. Is there an ETA on the RS Tuning exhaust?

19. Ahhhhh right, I see. Yeah I thought the Milltek would of been louder but I think, for me, it's the perfect sound! But gotta agree with you, the standard tips do look awwful!

20. lovely car pal, i was well impressed when dave sent me the link to the detail on DW website, he knows his stuff

How was the first track day?

and the spare wheel? 17" ? does it fit over the front brakes?

21. Thankyou mate, yeah Dave does know his stuff!

Found it so enjoyable! I had briefly drove at Donington earlier in last year when I did one of those supercar days/experiences but it was good to finally get the Megane out there and realise it's potential. Will definitely be doing more this year that's for sure! :smile:

Erm not sure what size it is tbh. I put it on the rear and it fitted fine and would like think it fits over the fronts fine too.

22. Like the track pics, car looks awesome! Do like Black, nearly bought one in that colour but couldn't agree on price.

23. [QUOTEI would recommend getting it machine polished 100%! I have MOT at start of Feb, so I'm waiting until then to see if I have to fix anything if it fails, but touch wood it doesn't! Then I'm thinking the big brake kit from K-Tec and maybe, maybe gold wheels....... :eek:[/QUOTE]

How much an i likely to end up paying for this? i try clean my car at least twice a month i use a good mitt and the old two bucket method but the swirls were there when i bought it so cant do much about it

24. Cheers lad. I never used to be a fan of black cars but for some reason these are an exception! :tongueout:

Not sure what professional detailers would cost but as Dave knows me and only does it as a hobby he charged me cheaper than normal. Cleaning car helps it look clean but to get rid of the swirls and redefine the colour you'll need it properly machine polishing. :smile:

25. How much an i likely to end up paying for this? i try clean my car at least twice a month i use a good mitt and the old two bucket method but the swirls were there when i bought it so cant do much about it[/QUOTE]

A pro would charge anywhere between 250-500 on average depending on how bad the car is and how perfect you want it

26. 5how much Jeez I'm glad I was sat down for that lol maybe the polish can wait for now unless anyone in the north fancys teaching me a thing or two ? I do like my car to be clean

27. Them prices sound about right tbh. Worth every penny though! My first step would be to get yourself on Detailing World and go from there. :smile:

28. What this man said, you can learn a lot from there! Although seems to be at a cost lol

29. Not much of an update but I've booked my MOT for the 1st Feb with Mark Black, fingers crossed!

Also just ordered some Bosch wipers as mine are fuckeddddddd!

30. Looking good seb. Had an account on here for a while but not often im online.

The car certainly benifited from the machine polish. Grey to black once it was done.

Great to see you taking care of the maintainance as well as the mods and we'll definitely be back on track in a few months.

Give me a shout next time it needs a good wash!

Dave

31. Cheers mate! So glad I got it machined looking back now and yeah certainly more track days in the near future seems a good idea!

32. Took car to Mark on Saturday for MOT! It passed with one advisory being the front drivers side spring had just come lose in the top mount which Mark did his best to sort but ultimately will need a new one.

33. a new cooksport spring Seb?

34. I know my old Cooksports were picked up as out of the top mount on one garage visit, don't know if anyone else's has.

35. One of my standard R26 springs had become dislodged at the top mount. Don't think this is a cooksport spring issue, maybe more just a lowered spring issue :smile:

36. Nahhh, just a new top mount mate!

Yeah, think it's quite common. Happened to my passengers side last year, now drivers!

Yeah don't think it's anything to do with Cooksport.

37. Met up Dave at the weekend, and yes he did what he does best!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Morning after bead!! :tongueout:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

38. Did he give it another machine Seb or just another coat of lsp?

39. It was just a good wash and interior clean mate with a top up on protection. Wont need any machining for a while yet.

Dave

40. I wish I knew mate!! :tongueout: He didn't machine it no, just gave it a good wash using all his endless amounts of products, god knows how he does it!