225 Seatbelt replacement for Megane

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by JDC, May 22, 2019.

1. JDC

JDC

hi peeps,

I was wondering if anyone has replaced their seat belts on their Megane as mine is not retracting much anymore. Might as well replace them. What specifics do I need to pay attention to before I purchase new eat belts? I would like to get red belts. I saw some on eBay, has anyone installed them before or know where I can get red seat belts, it’ll will be fab!

2. I have been thinking about doing this also, my belts work fine but are really grubby looking. I looked at the aftermarket and second hand options. I guess the things to consider are length and how they will mount. . If you do give it a go keep the thread updated please

3. They can be cleaned Geoff, detach the bottom end of them then run them full length outside the car, trap them with the door and pressure wash them!
    Someone did post images of this recently but can’t remember who.

4. Cleaning them makes a massive difference, not just in how well they look but also how well they retract.

Here's a comparison pic of mine half way through cleaning the front pair: IMG-20180804-WA0001.jpg

After cleaning them and cleaning the top guide they now look and work as new.

If anyone needs a front pair let me know, I've got a fully cleaned and working pair in my garage.

5. Thanks for the advice fellas, I really want red belts though. Had been thinking about dying them red with clothing dye. I have a full spare set of belts if it all goes wrong or looks pants. Might be simpler to just buy them

6. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

7. JDC

JDC

Thanks for the replies guys.

I’m with Geoff for getting red belts. I might give them a clean and dying them red would be an option. Thanks for that I never thought of it.
    I found these red universal seat belts on eBay I wonder if they will fit at all, does anyone know?
    I have read a few post and I think it’s better to get brand new ones.

8. Dying them isn't that straightforward due to them being made of polyester. It needs the correct type of dye and done in boiling water. I've been tempted to give it a try on my spare set, just don't think my wife would appreciate me ruining one of out kitchen pans!

9. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

you get seat belts re-webbed but its not cheap, seat belts arnt something you dont want to mess about with really

10. I agree Matt, I think what ever you do the belts integrity needs to be considered. If they are just dyed though I think that would be ok. Dale I'm going to look at the boiling option. Do you have anymore details?

11. The dye i was going to try was idye poly (https://www.thedyeshop.co.uk/polyester_dye.php)

Its available in a variety of colours and isnt expensive. The dying process will vary slightly depending on the brand of dye but essentially it's a matter of placing the fabric in a pan of hot - boiling dye solution for between 30-90 minutes to allow the dye to take to the fabric.

12. JDC

JDC

Wow so the process is not as easy as it sounds... Thanks for the heads up Dale. I will hav to consider or if just giving it a good clean a better option. Hmm...
    So what would be my best option if I wanted red belts and my driver side seat belt is not retracting much?
    Should I just be looking at replacing the mechanism and not the belt?
    I did consider finding a brand new set of phase 1 orange seat belts, they should be the same right? And is this a possible solution?

13. The slow retracting is most likely down to the dirt/gunk on the seat belt. Neither of my front belts retracted correctly prior to me cleaning them and the top guide. After cleaning them they both looked and worked like new. If the coil inside the mechanism had failed I wouldn't expect the to retract at all.

Regarding the colour change, the best solution is to send your belts off to get re-webbed. I'd imagine that this wouldn't be a cheap option.

I can't see any reason why a set of orange belts from a ph1 wouldn't work.