Scoring on brake caliper (meg 250)

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by Alex, May 1, 2017.

1. Ok, as above. Had a grinding noise for a couple of months under braking (from above 40) coming from the off side wheel.

Not had a chance to get the car to a garage (now booked in) and its seldomly used.
    Does anyone know what might be causing this? I thought the wheel balancing weights might be the cause but the tyres were changed 2 years ago..

Literally makes no sense.

IMG-20170501-WA0002.jpg IMG-20170501-WA0008.jpg

2. It's got to be the inside of the wheel obviously.

Put the wheel back on with it still jacked up, turn full left lock and get your head round under and inside the corner whilst turning the wheel by hand; I'm sure you will see what's causing it.

3. Yes I've tried that. The alloy has an inch clearance from touching the caliper.

4. That's strange then.

Unlikely, but could the wheel have been left untightened? This might have allowed it to rub on the caliper on braking.

If it's definitely the wheel that's caused it, you should see a corresponding wear line on the inside of the wheel. Is this apparent?

A stone could have jammed between the two but this wouldn't score the caliper as much as the wheel, and not on the top & bottom of the caliper. Are you sure any wheel weights haven't caused this, and then fallen off completely? Is there a bonding mark that lines up with the caliper wear? I had a garage fit new tyres on a 172 and then blame me when the weights wouldn't pass the brakes...

5. You have checked the wheel weights?

6. yup, nothing in contact and only makes grinding noise when braking from above 40 mph.

7. Something sadly wrong with that then :disrelieved:

8. Have you checked caliper? Mountings not loose?

9. Post a pic of the inside of that wheel. Something has obviously become jammed between the wheel and the calliper.

10. IMG-20170501-WA0000.jpg

11. Bottom outside edge looks like weights have been moved or removed as per my post above.

12. Strange one, can only think it's a weight that's come loose. I assume it no longer makes the grinding noise??

13. Nope, its been like this since march.

14. could the calliper have come loose and it's been catching on the wheel weights? It the only thing it could be surely.

15. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

you would hear or feel it if the caliper was moving

16. I`m intrigued to find out what this is. No doubt you, more so.

17. Ian

Ian

Do you know for definite the caliper was scratch free before the wheel last went on - thinking it could be old damage?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

18. I know exactly what this is!

I got a puncture a few months back, jacked my car up and put the spare wheel on, went to set off, massive grinding sound, stopped and realised as marked on the wheel that it should only go onto the rear! I was so annoyed with myself that I had scrapped my caliper! When I got home I noticed the other side had exactly the same thing, so the 1 previous owner had managed to do the same thing!
    I'd had the car around 2 years by then and always hand washed it, so the fact I'd not noticed it before calmed me down a bit.

The other problem with making that mistake is you think your all set ready to continue and I had to..

Jack the front back up
    Took wheel off
    Put punctured wheel back on
    Lowered front again
    Jacked up rear
    Took wheel off
    Put spare wheel on
    Lowered rear
    Jacked up front
    Put rear wheel on the front
    Lowered again !!!!

19. OP say it's still doing it and has shown the wheel to be a Steev which is 19" and easily big enough.

20. Ian

Ian

I wonder if the scratch is old, and there is a different current issue causing the grinding noise when braking from 40mph?

Please post your findings when you get to the bottom of this - you got us all curious mate! :-)

21. Yea sorry my point was its 2 separate issues. So the noise is probably an imbalance of brakes