Safe remap

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Ab93, May 3, 2018.

1. Hi all, new member here!

I am soon to be purchasing my 1st megane 225. It will come already fitted with supporting mods including induction kit, cat back exhaust, fmic, and 630cc injectors should I choose to fit them. I am aware that this is easily ready for a stage 1 map maybe even stage 2 I was just wondering what can the standard clutch cope with torque wise? I have read a few threads where people have been getting up to 340lbft but couldn’t see any mention of upgrading the clutch. The seller states that the clutch flywheel and csc have all just been changed not sure if updated or standard so don’t want to kill it as soon as I map it. Would be grateful for any help. Thanks

2. There will be a few different theories behind this one I'm afraid so no outright answer. A few people seem to suggest that the standard 225 clutch and flywheel are capable of around 290hp/300ft lbs before slippage. Going above that figure and your into internal engine wear and possible failure. If its not standard and your running an R26r clutch and flywheel setup or even a single mass flywheel then that figure will be increased but always be mindful that your engine unless forged will not take too much more. You'd be expecting around 285/300 with the spec above.

Mine runs 279/300 with pretty much the same setup as yourself and a standard 225 clutch with no problems during hard road driving conditions.

Ab93 likes this.
  3. Thanks for your help mate appreciated I would be happy with those figures anyway, I took it too far on my last car and as soon as I had the map had to fork out nearly 800 on fitting uprated clutch so don’t fancy that again. Also as you said with spec above does that mean I can reach that without a decat? As was thinking about that too but again would probably rather not purely for the hassle of MOT etc.
    Thanks

4. Sorry, yes you'll need a decat to reach those figures. The standard cat is quite restrictive on these cars. Without a cat you'd be expecting more like 255/260hp.

Ab93 likes this.
  5. Thanks mate I have already had a little look into it and it seems relatively cheap when you look at how much you look at cost vs gains, wouldn’t fancy doing it myself though lol might see if I can get a custom one with a map deal

6. Also would a 2.75” decat be alright for this figures or does it need to be 3”?

7. just get a stage 1,no need to go wild with decatting for a few more horses/lbft.
    with those mods, you will have all the power that car can handle sensibly.
    My own R26 is stage 1,with just a induction kit makes 265hp/285lb/ft.
    Thats a balanced output for the R26, which has a LSD to help put that power down.
    Even with premium tyres,suspension and geometry..its on the limit of traction.

Pushing the standard engine internals any further on a older vehicle is asking for trouble.
    My own car has had a RS Tuning stage 1 done on his rollers 6 years ago..

The conrods in the f4rt engine came from the 182 clio,so where designed for 140-odd lb/ft.
    So obviously this is a weak area,
    when you start asking them to handle more than double ,what they are designed to cope with.

Mircea likes this.