R26 Running on 3.. help :(

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by LiamR172, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Hi all.

Over the last while my megane has been feeling a bit odd, and recently has intermittantly started running on 3 cylinders for a short while, carry on driving a bit and it clears and everything is fine.

Just went out in it a while ago to go to the shop, didnt feel right from cold as usual, but then once warm it was fine, than started running on 3 but it didnt clear and the emissions light, the spanner and the T/C light are on, and its says 'check ESP' on the screen.

First thought is the injectors, anything i can do myseld cheaply to try and sort it before putting it in for diagnostics?

Thanks.

2. If you have a wee cheap OBD2 reader it can help a good bit!

3. Mike265cup is going to plug it in for me tomorrow after work. Hopefully come up with something simple/easy! And cheap:eek:

4. Ok so its not plugs, coils or injectors.

Any other suggestions for me?

5. What codes did you get?

6. Bent rod? Might be worth a checking.
    also seen wiring problems from the ecu to injectors

7. Right.. this is what its doing.

When you start it up, on idle its fine and when you rev it, it sounds normal.

Drive a little and take it easy with the throttle, applying it gently and its fine, it will happily build speed up, but the moment you press hard on the throttle, it cuts power and goes onto 3 cylinders until you turn the car off, then when you turn it back on its normal!

Plugs have been changed, coil has been swapped one by one with a workig coil and that didnt change anything and now today ive gone and bought a new injector from renault and ive changed them over one by one and that hasnt helped.

Over the xmas period my brother had a shot of the car and used all of the fuel, could it be all the shit in the bottom of the tank or something like that clogging something up when its under full load?

8. And the code that came up was P0313.

Bent rods? Would it still do the above if a rod was bent? As in, build up speed slowy just not under full load?

9. It wont be a bent rod, i thought it was faulting constantly.

has the car been remapped?
    My car had revving issues and missfire issues and it was taking around 5 minutes before i could drive the car from cold, then the cat warm up was switched off, now its fine and drives perfectly after 30 seconds.

10. Code P0313 is "misfire: low fuel".
    i got this before I had my injectors cleaned. You say you bought one from Renault, when I had mine tested two were at fault. No fuel flow at slow pulse and only half of normal at fast pulse.

I didn't get the power cut when pushing on though. It just ran like shit at idle.

11. Injectors. Speak to liquidf1.

12. I wont be forking out more cash guessing what it is. The car is covered by warrenty so ill put it into renault to get diagnostics done then go from there.

Absolutely sick of renaults, i sold my clio and got the megane because i thought id be trouble free for a bit, clearly i was wrong as this is the 2nd time its had a mystery fault :confused:

13. You get this shit ffrom other main dealers.
    Example. N54 BMW 335i/135i, rattling sound, loss of boost. BMW want to put new turbos on it. What it actually needs is to have the waste gate on one turbo adjusted.

I remember on one of these Megane forums too, a chap being told by a dealership that his R26 didn't have a turbo.

14. Flol! Retards!

Once this issue is sorted and i get the paint sorted its getting sold asap. Hate the bastard

15. Mine did exactly this and it was a coil.
    Was the coil you swapped about with a new one?
    I had mine at a so called Renault specialest (no one off here) and he swapped them about with an old coil he had lying around in his workshop and it never solved anything. He came to the conclusion that it might be a burnt valve.
    Had a mate look at it and turns out it was simply just a coil, the one the specialest used must have been dud
    You can get a new coil from wilco motosave for 18 quid to swap around and check.

16. Thanks for that Craig, the replacement coil i used is a mates spare one, its not actually brand new so i suppose it could be a possibility.

One of the guys from Renault is going to plug the car into the renault CLIP machine for me on tuesday night so ill wait and see what that comes up with before i buy any more parts!

cheers

17. Fault was number 3 coil if anyome is looking at this thread for an answer :smile:

18. Do you still hate it though.......?? r

19. Glad it's sorted mate. Knew it would be a coil.
    Have you replaced just the one or all four?
    The first time mine went I just replaced the one, about a month later another one went so I replaced the remaining three that time.

20. Of course i dont hate it when it goes. Thats a silly question hahaha!

I replaced the one for now, if another goes ill replace the 3. Touch wood ill be alright for a while though!