Running in oil grade

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Adam loveridge, May 12, 2018.

1. Forged engine guys what oil did you use to run in
    And what are you using now

2. Big Uno

Big Uno RSM Trader

Not fired it up yet but mines filled with castrol semi 0-20, better off not using fully synthetic.
    Got a dye in it but thats just to help find leaks if needed. Havnt decided what I will be running yet long term.

Depending how you look at it, running in is a bit of a myth, its only really the rings to bore that need any movement to bed them, and its probably minutes not hundreds of miles to bed them, after that its all negative wear.
    Bearings if concentric, lubed and to tollerance should be the best they will ever be from the start.

Engine temperature probably plays another role in this, should allow the engine to warm up before driving, and not just for bedding in but before driving any engine, depending on what material the rods and pistons are made with that may apply even more so.

Try not to load the engine up also, throttle position is more important than rpm limits during bedding.

I always believed the most important thing is changing the oil early on at say 50miles, and I stick to the above, its all my opinion and sure some will disagree.

3. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

0001.jpg 0001 (1).jpg

Attached Files:

Jamie230, Trophyboy and Big Uno like this.