RS3 CUP-S forged internal options

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by autronix, Aug 6, 2023.

1. autronix

autronix RSM Club Member

RS3 CUP-S 275 my 2015 / in this winter I'm planning a forged rebuild.

(I'm not aiming more than 320 bhp but I will aim for more torque at low rpm`s so cylinder pressure at low rpm is not so ok for oem internals , etc)

beside the Wossner forged kit are there better options on the market?

is there any difference in the oem engine internals between the earlier 250 bhp RS3 and the late editions 275 bhp / MY 2015 - 2016?

many many thanks

2. autronix

autronix RSM Club Member

3. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Pistons aren't the problem, the con rods are, there's one of the guys on here running 400hp in a gt220 estate with just con rods.

A Mk3 should take 360hp and the same torque on standard internals no problem. it used to be 400/400, but they lowered the figures as a couple had gone pop.
    Wosner pistons are now okay again, but there is an issue with PEC rods, if i were you Catcam rods is what i have and would go for .

One thing i would certainty replace are the valves and valve springs, had one break a valve on my own car (Spa) and I've bought a car that was forged and the engine builder never replaced the valves and one broke on that engine.

autronix likes this.
  4. autronix

autronix RSM Club Member

thank you very very much.

there were issues with the Wosner pistons in the past?
    was affected a batch , a production version?

yes supertech valves/springs are on the list + guides , etc.

5. autronix

autronix RSM Club Member

wossner conrods I have (KCR021A) will not fit my oem piston

IMG_20231027_101323587.jpg IMG_20231027_101358201.jpg

6. Do we know a good rod that will fit oe pistons? And is it worth gapping a new set of rings or even original ones on a low mileage engine? What shells do you advise?

7. autronix

autronix RSM Club Member

I found no rods to match the oem piston without machining. for the shells you can use king or acl or oem.

the ring gap is a very sensitive topic. my advice is to leave them to the oem spec.

8. That’s a bummer, I thought there was a rod available to use. Just want to be able to run a little more for track days without piston as well.