Rs265 Hello from Ireland

Discussion in 'New to the Club? Why not introduce yourself?' started by Gvido Rs265, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Hi lads,

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am Rs265 cup owner from Ireland. Only Irish dealership registered car in this country. From my research in ROI only 1x rs250 and one more Rs265 with facelif. I have seen both on Irish roads, not sure about Northern Ireland's RS scene. Driving Renaults only since 2006. This is my 4th Megane, but 1s[​IMG]t Rs. Happy owner since 2014 Feb. She is my daily, in 2 years have covered 55k km. Some unique features on my wip, like body colour matching interior -white/black leather all around. Current upgrades : only 8k xenons in low and high beams, reverse lights in 8k xenon, rear indicator LED upgrade, all interior (including glow box) in white Led. Most of servicing done by myself since warranty expired.

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Semtax and Nigelo like this.
  2. Hi, rare car there alright I've only seen them with northern regs. How bad is the tax?

3. Tax, 750euro per annum. But petrol bills and tyre billls are higher [emoji1]

4. Welcome from a NI brother!

5. Welcome! How come there's so little RS' in Ireland? I thought it'd be similar to GB....apparently not lol

Gvido Rs265 likes this.
  6. Ireland is a place for A to B kind of people. Even stock cars have little extras, cheepest from factory for rip off prices, bought only for number plate make neighbours jelous. Result is crazy price for something like Rs, as taxed by Co2 for dealers to register. [​IMG] And then average person doesn't think much of Renault, because judges that by old tales by others who no nothing of cars. So basically, haven't a clue what RS is, only when I give them a ride in it, or real petrol heads approve. It's cool driving something I like so much and others approve, when see BMW in rear view mirror. [emoji1]

7. Welcome from another NI brother :smile:.

Good few of us about across the border :smile:.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nigelo and Gvido Rs265 like this.
  8. Ah fair enough! It's good to have a bit orly a rare car over there then :wink:

I actually got my last R26 from Northern Ireland, but can't say I saw any others when I was over there!

Gvido Rs265 likes this.
  9. Welcome along! Theres actually a few more of us in the south. 2 of UKs RS 265 Trophies are here as well as a few 250s. You'll see them at Mondello international circuit from time to time.

I think this is your cars claim to fame here:
    http://www.rev.ie/renault-megane-rs/

Thats not a fair statement to make without proper context. Ireland is absolutely hammered by tax on cars. For example on a new RS Megane 250 being purchased in 2010 in Ireland you would have had paid in the region of €44,000. If im not mistaken the UK price was around £25,000. You would then need to pay €1200 for our annual motor tax compared to the UKs £270. We also have incredibly high Insurance costs which are way beyond anything you would have to pay in the UK with little or no room to modify you car.

One more example. If i purchased a second hand 2009 RS Clio 200 last year and imported into Ireland from the UK I would have to pay €4000 in tax when it arrives on our shores within the first 30 days, I would then need to pay motor tax for the year (€1200) and then insure it which would cost me, someone with full NCB and no penalty points, around €1500. Failure to pay... you will be fined and/or have your car seized.

Gvido Rs265 likes this.
  10. Great post man, appreciate someone elses view on this subject. We have to come together and organize some events, wouod be great craic, as there isn't much happening in RS community. Would like to meet all of Irish owned car drivers, have a chat, Photo shoot maybe etc. Anyone ever near Dublin other than Mondello? Haven't tracked my car other than Bishop's court drag, as she is my daily. What mileage your got atvthe moment? What upgrades?

11. Hey Gvido
    I'm based in Dublin with a RS250.
    Iv tracked my one numerous times in mondello, and it's a must, you'll really appreciate the car you drive daily.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gvido Rs265 and Nigelo like this.
  12. Beautiful RS250 you have. Any mods: suspension, performance? Also, see you got timing belt done. Where did you do it at the end? Mine has 84000 KM on it. She was registered Jan 2013. I read somwhere that timing belts recommended every 4 years. How much I will be looking for it and what's involved? Engine out job? Do you want to meet up for a drive around and some pics? I am based near Malahide.

13. Only have the front polybushed
    Mid box chop
    Carbon lorraine pads
    Motul brake fluid.
    Have a downpipe to be fitted soon.
    Bluefin remap as mods.
    I got Daltons in malahide to do the belts and tensioners and not an engine out.
    Because I'm doing track, I service mine every 2 trackdays. I'll pm you the next day mondello is running a day.

14. Im down south but travel up to Dublin the odd time. Like RSBuzzer I try head along to most of those Mondello track days and id definitely recommend coming along to one of them.

Its 75K miles or 6 years for timing belts. Here is a handy chart for service intervals:
    http://www.k-tecracing.com/service_grid.asp?appid=20&model=Petrol models

Mine has an RS Tuning remap, Scorpion Cat back exhaust and Cooksport Springs.

[​IMG]

15. How much did it cost for belt and tensioners etc? Also ball joints, do you do yourself or them also? I done front pads and pins and oil change this summer myself. Oil change was like gynecology procedure because of Belgard Renault lads had torqued filter so tight nearly broke my arms. :smile: Definetly PM me. What's the cost to run Mondello race day?

16. Love your car man. Planing decals myself, thinking about Thropy stripes at rear quater panel.

17. That's mental!! Why is it so expensive? I don't think I could ever live there for these reasons alone lol

Slightly off topic but I've noticed in Ireland there seems to be a high number of, for example Toyota Corolla Ae86's, compared to GB. If there is one for sale, it's usually in Ireland. Any reason as to why this is? Just curious

18. We like to Rally and drift alot. Simples.

19. Well, I always say to everyone from my mother country ( I am from Latvia originally, nearly 13 years in Ireland) that Ireland is perfect place for Japanese car lovers. But somehow difficult one for big engined Germans and Americans. You see, in eastern Europe, you avarage Honda Civic is something like E36 or E 46 with 3 - 4 ltr lump in it. I suppose insurance costs make people creative, which causes TURBOCHARGING everything etc. Like you will never see that many Skylines or SX200 - 240s. There are good few now over there also, but generally drift scene is flooded with big V8 lumps, and mostly BMW ones. AE86, that definetly has a Love story with Irish lads. And tou know what- how clean those cars are here in unbelievable. Only wish I had, that they appreciate RSes a little bit more. But then there are other examples, like one of friends driving cleanest MB AmgE55 W210 . Being given opportunity to drive it, I do miss big V8 lump. But it would be to cosy to keep one on the road in Ireland, until it becomes classic for road tax and insurance purposes. But you know what, we RS drivers are on league on its own, aren't we, we own something even more special. Everyday I have a chance to surprise someone who knows nothing of it, but when being left for dust, then from embarrassment starts asking questions :smile:. Good day everyone!

20. Nice to know there is only a handful of these cars in ireland
    Irish sleepers

Gvido Rs265 likes this.
  21. Very nice lads!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gvido Rs265 likes this.
  22. Hello to all.

Throwing my hat into the ring. I'm based in Co.Meath and recently bought an RS250 Cup. Really enjoying it so far. Its just been given a major service and I've fixed a couple of things myself. There are still a few things I want to get sorted but (touch wood) think I have one which was fairly well looked after.

In the nearish future I'm thinking of some mods but it depends on how difficult/costly it will be to insure. Being Ireland and car insurance is what it is at the moment, what insurance companies should I try? I'm in my mid thirties, full no claims built up, no previous accidents etc and currently no points. The few quotes I've gotten so far are north of €1300 but they will not insure the car if modified.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Gvido Rs265 likes this.
  23. How are you, I can recomend Allianz, with them 2nd year now on my RS265, got 800 euro full comprehensive including bonus cover. Was with Kennco before, bit they became pricier. Bit i have 10 years no claims and 3 penalty points only so far (not planning getting anymore :smile:). Also, when are we organizing some sort of get together for photo shoot and drive around Ireland, we are not too many here, would be great to meet everyone who enyoys such a special car![​IMG]

24. Gvido Rs265 likes this.
  25. Welcome along, I am in the North and have a 275 Cup-S

[​IMG]

Gvido Rs265 likes this.