RS250 thermostat options

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by ryan197, Nov 22, 2023.

1. Hi, looks like im nearing changing the thermostat again, what are decent after brands for these? The last two changes have been oem thermostats, but i feel them lasting 3 years a piece is abit sort of time.

thanks

2. Replaced mine a year or so ago with genuine Renault thermostat - it was made by Dauphinoise-Thomson.
    Hopefully they are better now than what was initially installed (same) - mind you 11 years isn't too bad.

3. autronix

autronix RSM Club Member

I use oem 83 degs version by Calorstat. need to get the gasket separately , here are the oem codes.

1.jpg 2.jpg

4. Germy

Germy RSM Club Member

Did my thermostat at the weekend after I read a bunch of threads including this one, and realised my 250 was running cold. It was sitting on the first bar and only going up to just under the second one in traffic.

Stat was under a tenner from Carparts in Motion on Ebay (NAPA 4408334) and it took about an hour ish to fit. It's a pretty generic stat and is listed as compaible with a lot of stuff.

As expected the battery, tray etc all have to come out. Stat housing is held in with three bolts and I didn't need to bleed anything up afterwards, just topped up what little coolant I'd dropped.

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-16 at 16.30.16_20e36115.jpg

It now sits on the second line when hot and doesn't move. Also now revs all the way to where it should, and feels far far happier. Best fix I didn't know I needed ever! WhatsApp Image 2023-12-16 at 16.30.16_0ba0ee0f.jpg

5. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Took mine out at the weekend, saw that mine is also in need of changing, the car has now done 750 ish miles since the rebuild, but I've only driven it myself for 200 miles :openmouth:

But as my engine is coming out again to change the conrods and fit my new turbo.

I will start a new thread for that :blush: