RS250 - Oulton Park - First Trackday - Nearly a crash!

Discussion in 'Megane Media' started by James B, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Here is a poor quality video of my first time on track back in February on a pretty greasy Oulton Park. I borrowed a GoPro for the last session of the day but didn't have a chance to set it up so the focus was all wrong. I've edited the video as best as I can so that you can see out of the windscreen, but unfortunately it's not the best.

There's a nice big moment 2 minutes in, though!

Best lap: 2:05

[video=youtube;W0z5ZRDH6V4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0z5ZRDH6V4[/video]

2. That is quite possibly the worst video I've ever seen in terms of quality and being able to make out where you are :tongueout:

You can stick them to the dash if you get one yourself with the sticky mounts, that's what I always did with mine. Though now I have cameras mounted permanently so the GoPro is redundantly sat in my cupboard.

Had to watch it a few times around 2:00 to see what corner you were on though, must have been cold tyres though I've done the same:

[video=youtube;79fDRX8CL4E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79fDRX8CL4E[/video]

3. Haha it is awful quality, I'll happily hold my hands up to that! It's probably why I haven't uploaded it for so long. It is going into Island, before Shell and the slide started at about 90mph lol

Yeah this had sticky mounts. I should have stuck it on the dashboard like you did, but decided to put it somewhere inside the car and the only spot I could find in the few minutes I had was the rear interior light.

That is a much better video! Nice driving :smile:

4. You were sort of asking for that slide at 2:00. Going out a full pace on the first lap on cold tyres and greasy track.

It looks like you might have caught the left wheels on the grass/curb, which wouldn't help.

Recovered it well though.

5. Yeah cold tyres on a greasy track. I didn't touch the grass at all, although I appreciate it's not easy to see on that video!

Was great fun, really want to do another day in the summer. Maybe a couple of performance mods to try and get down to a 2:00 time :smile:

6. You say that's your first ever track day?

7. Nice video, a good lap time and an even better save. Fair play

8. On my first track day I certainly wasn't waving my hand around like at 1:56.

9. I was just thinking if it was a first track day, he seemed pretty committed haha and that 2:05 is not a slow time round there, especially for first time.

A mate of mine in a well setup DC2 Integra Type R who has probably done 20+ days on there has a best of 2:04 on R888's and he can pedal!

10. Flat to the mat on cold tyres will always create an arse clench moment. Good save

11. Yeah it was my first track day. Never taken a car on track before!

I have been karting since I was very little, but no track experience with a car before this, just plenty of practice on the roads haha

I got a bit lucky with the save I think, it could have been a lot worse!!

It's a shame the video is such poor quality, you can't really see much. If I do another track day then I think I will invest in a better setup.

12. Do you mean when I was passing the red CRX? He's a mate from work so I was giving him a thumbs up :smile: I was actually on a Novice track day with a load of guys from work because it was cheap haha and I thought why not!

13. Great save mate. I have never been to Oulton but it looks a lot of fun.

14. Been there and done that too. Suspect the stability control helped too!

15. Yeah it's great track!

Ah it was all turned off lol, I doubt it would have got to that stage if I had left it in sport mode, like I did in the first couple of sessions.

16. Good save, bad video lol, I had to play it out in my head from you coming out the pits.
    Looks like you were on and off the throttle through there unbalancing the car, Oulton is a great track but not ideal for your first trackday.

17. Those sort of moments can be pretty scary, not s nice feeling at all! What tyres you running out of interest?

18. Haha it is a terrible video! It's on a GoPro, just one that I didn't have any time to setup. I borrowed it for the last session. Yeah I lifted off as I turned in on cold tyres, not smart!

Yeah my mate in the passenger seat was more worried than me I think lol. At the time I think they were PS2's, I'm on the Super Sports now. They performed well for a road tyre, but I felt like they went 'off' after just over a lap. I don't know if this is something that happens on track but I felt like the grip faded away quite quickly.

19. How do you find the pss's then in comparison?