Rs250 intercooler, Wagner vs pro alloy

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by D11nyd, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Hi Is anyone running a Wagner intercooler on here?

If so what power are you running?

Really unsure of what intercooler to go for.

It’s definately between Wagner or pro alloy.
    Slightly put off by the whole temperature increase talk that people say that the pro alloy brings?

Having said that does anyone have any first hand experience of this actually happening?

Mine will do a round 6-8 track days a year.
    They both seem to be around the same money,
    Hoping to see around 320bhp 360lb-ft once mapped.
    The intercooler is the final piece of the parts I need before mapping.
    Would like to hear from anyone who’s actually using or used in the past my choices.
    Thanks
    Danny

2. I had a 70mm Airtec intercooler running that power and torque, never had a problem with temps even on the rolling road.

D11nyd likes this.
  3. There seems to be a lot of talk regards the Pro Alloy causing issue`s with temp increase ( or people who have an issue with a company that sells them). I have had both & the Pro Alloy is a far better built cooler ( see the feedback from the Airtec groupbuy). If the Pro alloy causes overheating issue`s, then why have Airtec followed suit, & now offer an intercooler that is as tall as the Pro Alloy ( Airtec stage 2)?. The choice is yours.Until someone offers data regards the Pro alloy causing issue`s, then its just talk.

ciapata likes this.
  4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

It's definitely not just talk.

I know of multiple track use cars that hsve ran it without the extra turbo cooler and have suffered temp issues that were only resolved by changing to the smaller intercooler or adding the additional water cooler.

5. Don't buy a Pro Alloy then. Airtec it is.

6. Thanks for the reply’s, think il leave the pro alloy one then.

Has anyone had any experience with the Wagner?

7. What did yours make?
    I take it the mods are, decat and Intake?

8. mine made 320hp and i think 350ftlb

9. my mates just fitted one..look real quality,and defo doesnt block the rad.
    He should have got it tuned with it on by now.
    Will find out what it made.

10. I run a Wagner with no issues on hot track days in Sydney but then I have a safe tune.

I think chasing numbers can be dangerous. Total amount under the curve makes a faster car than outright peaks anyway. Depends on the purpose.

11. exactly..who really cares about numbers.
    My RS Tuning map has been on the car for nearly 10 years,with a factory like power delivery.
    Just goes to show,a well set up map has little effect on a engines longevity,if done correct.

Pyper likes this.
  12. Wagner.... low air temp, no air flow restriction for the coolant radiator :wink:. I have mine almost 1 year, running with no issues ( stage 2 - 265 trophy )

D11nyd likes this.
  13. Sounds good to me! What figures is it?

14. Yeah not exactly chasing numbers just hoping it will be around that power from others I’ve seen with same mods.
    Chris at efi in the Uk is a very sensible mapper and always does a fantastic job.
    He did my old R26 and it did hours of track driving so I’m in good hands there!
    Looks like il be going for the Wagner!

DOOOOK likes this.
  15. It’s all about numbers at a track day! Plus a lot of excuses of how I could be quicker! :laughing:
    Tyres went off etc.....:wink:

16. Did you speak to you’re mate?

17. yep..hes going up in a few days..ironically to EFI.So i will let u know what his car makes with the wagner.
    He also has a full GT Performace SS exhaust with sports cat.

18. 311 hp / 473nm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Yeah please do mate, mines decat, panel filter and intercooler so think the decat helps a lot.

21. First hand experience right here.
    Hybrid turbo’ed, 365bhp/370lb/ft
    Brand new pro alloy cooler, had overheating issues even on cooler days, after about 10mins on track i had to give it one or two cooldown laps to finish off the 20min stint.

Changed for a second hand Wagner, no more overheating issues at all! Also some people seem to be convinced they don’t cool aswell but driving on track with multiple Megane rs’es with different setups haven’t showed a lack in performance over the laps.

If i have to be abit critical the paint on them isn’t the best...

22. Yes to this!!
    This is exactly what I needed to hear!
    First hand experience for testing both of them.
    I’m also very glad to read this as I ordered a Wagner yesterday!
    Thanks everyone for the advise

Mish View likes this.
  23. DV8

DV8

Just had mine tuned at EFI with a Wagner fitted, Chris (the tuner) seemed pretty happy with the IAT cooling performance and it made 317bhp & 352lbft with a sports cat and catback system (350lbft was our target torque).

B392-B384-5-F2-A-437-A-A5-C5-079-A8-C660192.jpg

D11nyd likes this.
  24. That’s great to hear!
    Are you running a induction kit?

25. DV8

DV8

Nope OEM airbox with OEM filter. I just wanted the best filtration for longevity of the engine.

autronix and D11nyd like this.
  26. this is my mates car..

D11nyd and DV8 like this.
  27. i hve wagner int with stage 1. no problems

D11nyd likes this.
  28. Chris @ EFI mapped my 265 on a Wagner, only other mods being downpipe and box chop. He seemed impressed with the cooling capabilities. Ran 309 horse 356 torque.

D11nyd likes this.
  29. All being well I’m at efi on Tuesday so will let you all know :smile:

30. Good choice :sunglasses:

31. Sorry for the delay, changed the day at efi.
    I had it done yesterday
    It made 313bhp 350 torque
    Had to pull the torque back as it was up Into the 370’s at one point.
    Really happy with it, drives really well and so smooth!
    Few more jobs to do including new clutch, clutch bite feels really high and some new lower arms
    Also I’ve got cadwell booked on the 22nd of August so need to get the above done before then:laughing:

32. Has anyone used the pro alloy intercooler with the turbo cooler on track also did it have any lag issues due to the extra size.