Sponsored By:  

RS250 Chases Ring Taxi......Nurburgring Happy Days!

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by R26Man, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Can a RS250 keep up with an M3 Ring Taxi.........only if there's traffic....but it's fun trying!!

Safe driving..

2. That's some great driving. Thanks for the in-depth review of your Nankangs AR1s, I think a lot of us have been waiting for such a review. I need to decide soon on a set to be used on track. Would be going with 255/235 F/R. I'm doubting between the Nankangs and the Federals FZ-201s. Which one would you choose after your set of AR1s? Would you buy them again/recommend them?
    I heard from another Ringtool Meg owner that when he switched from direzzas to Nankangs, he was very dissapointed and tyre wear was also very high (maybe tyre pressure related?). But from your review I can see no such negative mentions.

3. Hi,
    Thanks for your comments.
    Interesting question regarding tyre choice as it is very subjective and depends so much on the set up off the car. My RS250 is optimised for the Ring and so my comments reflect that.

I would recommend the Federal FZ-201 and Nankang AR-1 (2-17) both in medium compound based on my experience, but price has also got to be a factor. I have bought Nankangs again and used them on my R26-R with 466bhp and they worked great.

I have found that the Direzza 03G (medium) wears more quickly than the Nankang on a like-for-like track distance on my RS250 but does offer higher performance....but at a much higher price. I would say coming from the Direzza to the Nankang one would notice the difference in performance and so one could have a more negative opinion (but a good cost saving) but on the other hand if you came from say a Federal 595 to the Nankang it would feel like Christmas had come early!! Again it is such a subjective area.

One other element to consider is the driver and at what level the car will be asked to perform. In my opinion a novice driver, new to track days, would do fine with the Federal 595 and then spend money on lessons from a qualified instructor. As experience increases then changes to the car's suspension and tyres become more important especially if track times are being chased. As for me I am all about the fun and if I am driving "quickly" then I buy my tyres as a safety aid .....and then a performance upgrade.
    I hope that might give some insight.....however, whatever you choose of the two options they will eventually wear out and you can then try the other one!!
    Safe driving.

RingRocket likes this.