250 RS250 Air Conditioning woes

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by tommyb, Jul 17, 2021.

1. So, I purchased an RS250 Cup with dual climate control at the end of last month. Being the fool that I am I forgot to check that the A/C works correctly. First off I took the car to a friends garage for a re-gas, thinking that the issue was that the gas had leaked out over time.

Whilst doing the vacuum check it became apparent that one of the hoses was leaking where the rubber is crimped into the Aluminium. I replaced the hose, and whilst doing so noticed that the condenser radiator was in a sorry state. I fitted a new condenser and went for a re-gas, all good this time.

The Aircon still does not blow cold though. I read up on the climate control ECU locking out the A/C pump if there is low pressure in the system, so I scanned the car with a Snap-on Modis and it brought up no fault codes for the Climate control ECU. Does the ECU only show codes to the Renault Clip software?

When the A/C button is active the radiator fan turns on and you can hear the revs pick up on the car, like the engine is under load / AC compressor has kicked in. Is there any common issues with the heater distribution boxes on these? Like flaps getting stuck open or anything? It's doing my head in now, especially in this hot weather!

2. Possible where there was a leak, moisture has made its way round the system and causing a blockage. Not sure if the filter driers are part of the condensers on these or separate.

3. Before going mad, use a more or less accurate temperature sensor (one with a prob and a nice display). Set your temperature to low, air recirculating On and the air blow direction towards the face. Wait at least 5 minutes and compare the outside temperature with what is blowing from your AC.

4. Trust me I've been driving around all weekend and it doesn't cool the air at all. If anything it's cooler in the car with the windows open. I had a similar issue in my 182 and it turned out to be the expansion valve, gave it a tap with a spanner and it worked. Maybe I'll try that next.

5. I do believe you :joycat: In that case do you know if the dehumidifier for the AC is within the condenser that you replaced or is it fitted somewhere else in the car?

6. Again fairly possible the orifice in the TEV is blocked, will be a tiny hole in it

7. Look in the center of the ac pump, there's a hexagon 8mm end- it ought to be spinning continuously. If it isn't, then it has seized and you need a new ac pump. My ac pump was gone but the revs still dipped and the fans turned on as if it was underload but in reality nothing was working.