Rs250/265or275

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Markkingmonkey, Nov 20, 2018.

1. I’m in the market for a RS Cup I may stretch to a trophy should the right one become available. I’ve been reading that the mk3 gearbox is a bit fragile?

I’ve been going to the ring for four years now and in October I drove a friends R26 his was completely rebuilt and a stunning example but it did take me by surprise, having only driven 4 wheel drive cars on the ring the grip blew my mind.

So that’s my main intention to take it to the ring twice a year maybe pick up a track day or 2 in the uk as well, I probably won’t drive it more than once a week otherwise. What I don’t want is something like a weak gearbox lurking round the corner.

I obviously expect to service more regularly and need to maintain wearable parts more often.

I’m not an aggressive driver so if the gearboxes are ok in sensible hands I’m fine with that, so I’d just like a steer on whether to avoid any particular model considering my intended use.

Thanks

2. Nothing inherently fragile about these boxes, the ones that let folks down are for three reasons
    1 they use a oil that’s cheap
    2 they don’t change oil till around 90k miles
    3 they up the engine output to a level the box was not designed for

3. I would love to know where people read these things lol

Considering they are good for 400bhp.....

4. I read it on a thred on here, ppl saying at 30k the boxes on the mk3 were making noises and the bearings required changing, then a comment saying the boxes on the mk3 are fragile. But if you’re confident it’s not the case and upto 400bhp is fine, which I won’t be looking at running then that’s what I was after some reassurance. Is there a different box on the mk2,3&4?

5. They sure can handle good power, box can struggle bit if mappings not smooth ie big lump power all once but same can be said of clutch

6. So mk3 is no different to mk2 or 4? That’s fine then thanks for input