Rs250/265 reliability

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by tatestar1, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Hi all

I'm new to the forums and looking to purchase a megane rs 250/265. I never owned a Renault, and all my cars have been vw's. I currently own a mk2 seat leon cupra and am now considering a rs. What I would like to know is are these engines reliable? And common faults to look out for?

Any help would be great

2. I have had mine almost 2 years and had problems with the clutch slave cylinder, a wheel speed sensor and a thermostat, car has done over 50k. Engines are reliable, many people have remapped them to 300bhp plus with no issues. In terms of maintenance tyres and brake disks are expensive on these cars compared to other hot hatches

3. Thanks for responding, I have heard the word "bullet proof" thrown around about the rs but was unsure if this is true or not. I think what concerns me is that some of these megane might have been abused on the track, which worries mm

4. Its what there designed for. Their not for going to Tesco`s & doing the weekly shop.

5. In my 6 month ownership I've replaced a wheel speed sensor and the gearbox mount bolt. Both relatively cheap fixes.

A few common problem are wet footwells from blocked scuttle drains and the seat sensor can sometimes cause the airbag light to come on.

I come from a long line of VAG cars and the Megane is by far, the most fun and a rewarding drive.

6. I'm not going to lie, I have had pretty horrific reliability but I seem to have bought a lemon. Most people have very few issues.

All four brakes seized
    Cambelt had to be done at 30k due to a known issue with the idlers causing a rattling noise
    Engine mounts and gearbox mounts went
    Driveshaft CV joints failed, new driveshafts required
    Gearbox had to be replaced due to work differential bearings - driveshaft oil seals were replaced under warranty with the previous owner but the gearbox must have been run with too little oil for too long befor replacement
    Clutch slave cylinder pipe leaking onto the ARB
    Anti rotation links, top mounts, drop links and wishbone bushes all replaced due to being worn. All before 50k.
    Radiator replaced due to leaking
    DRL power supply failed
    And quite a few more issues.

However I've done all the work myself (apart from the gearbox and cambelt) and it's not been too bad.

However, what I will say is that despite everything I've been through with the car (loads more issues than in my progress thread - that's not up to date in the slightest) I just can't get over how incredible it is. It's genuinely insanely good, especially when you carry out a few good modifications.

Mine actually got written off (accident wasn't even my fault) in February this year, but I've bought it back and repaired it myself - got it back on the road yesterday and it's just so so so good. I can't stress it enough. The best car I have ever owned by a long way.

My advice would be to go and test drive one and if you like it, go for it :smile:

Common problems will have been sorted by now, generally speaking.

7. They are like any other car really. Some common issues but in the most part they do tend to be pretty solid.
    Well put together, and engine been in the car for years now with no major problems. As said loads running at 300hp without issue.

8. Mine does :smiley:

9. Track days,and Tesco.

10. Buy wisely and you can get one that has not been abused on track.

11. Exactly...

Not forgetting track work required a completely solid front end, hubs, track rod ends bushes etc, people that are tracking them usually don't bat an eye at this kind of maintenance even before its due....

- all need done every 40k or so on any mk2 or mk3 megane - so there's a good chance those 'unabused' examples will have a fair bit of front end steering work required after they've been driven properly.

12. Thanks for the response everyone. I have found a low mileage 2010 which I'm gonna have a look at in a few days time I will keep you posted

13. Slightly off topic , but only because it's about a 275 cup S. These mk3 RS meganes are amazing cars. Mines only 1 week old and not even run in , but every journey makes me smile. Only other car that's done that is my old mk3 RS clio cup.
    Main difference between the cars is the megane is more grown up, but with all the fun of the clio and more.

14. Mine does the aldi shop superbly
    Just failed Mot like on both front ball joints gone
    And a bit of a pita to repair so I've read
    Gonna cost around 3-400

15. As above really - engines are very good but expect suspension/steering/drivetrain issues on 40/50k miles.

Buy with FSH and you should be okay, but don't expect to pay nothing in maintenance.

16. Or just buy/extend warranty

17. From my own experience, and what I see others doing. "Tracked" cars have some of the most fastidious maintenance of any car you are likely to buy. Any less than 99% would drive anyone I know wild. Plus, people who do track their cars, tend to make precautions with regards Ester based oils etc. Find a car you like, budget a few £ to sort the inevitable Renault niggles, stick a full tank of v power in it, and head to Wales. There and the track are really what the car is all about. Worrying about Wether the car has been enjoyed by a previous owner makes buying any hot hatch a problem.

Edit/side note. My previous car was a mk5 platform too, and I tracked it.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

18. On the other hand think I'll be taking it to mark black for my ball joints
    £130 a side bargain

19. With Zs_phil on the ball joints. Mark did mine a week ago. Great job!

20. Bought my RS250 year ago, had 69k miles on it. Now a year on coming upto 90k miles and its been excellent, one ball joint done at aaron autos.

Due a service in next 1000 miles, will need pads.

Its a great car to drive and does everything I need it to, one plus point for me is how few you see on the road. In the one year Ive owned it, only seen two others on the road. Not sure why to be honest? either not popular or not many made ?

21. I think both is your answer. Too many badge snobs in the UK who think anything without an Audi or BMW badge is rubbish. Renault don't have a good rep here either.

I'm with you - I think it's good that you don't see that many on the roads.