RS225 - Which Exhaust

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by craig180, Oct 28, 2013.

1. hi guys. Fairly new to the Megane scene as I recently picked up my 56 plate Lux and I'm looking at a few performance enhancing tweaks, first being an exhaust change.

I have another car with decat which I have to prat about with each MOT time so really I want to avoid that. With this in mind, what are the popular cat back exhausts on the market?

I'd quite like something fairly OE looking, but first and foremost it has to be an excellent fit, excellent build quality and rather nice to listen to.

So, from experience what should I be looking at and considering? I have no idea what my budget is at this stage, having seen everything from £300 to about £1100.

Hit me.......

2. 2 most popular would be the ktec 2.75 or 3 inch systems. the 2.75 is the louder of the 2.
    then theres other less well known like scorpion, blueflame ect.

ive always thought there is a lack of the very high quality systems for the megane. akropovic for instance.

3. Cheers mate. I've seen the Scorpion for sale at less than £350 which looked attractive. I've used Scorpion on my old Saxo VTS and was surprised at how good the build quality was, although it was quite heavy compared to the likes of my Ashley and Supersprint.

Didn't Blueflame go out of business a while ago??

4. i think they did yes, but im sure theres the odd one still knocking around in places.

5. I've got the 3" k-tec on mine, it is decat though, but the sound from it immense especially around 4000rpm. Being de-cat it does pop, bang and burble a lot which can get a bit annoying when just driving about town! Other than that I can't fault it though and the fit is spot on. Happy exhaust hunting, let us know what you decide on and get some pics up!

6. Cheap option is £50 backbox chop, have a read about

7. iv got the backbox chop and tbh prefer it over the miltek system atm. cheap easy mod.

8. meganes engine note has never been anything nice to listen to..probally why so little choice.
    You will gain next to nothing and lose the turbo whisle with a exhaust swop.
    Get a stage 1,put the seats down if you want to hear the unique meganesport whoosh..10 times louder with a stage 1.

I have had many say the noise it makes on full boost is very unique compared to other turbo cars.

9. first thing I did was mid box chop, not a lot louder but it pops nicely loose the turbo whistle though, now I have 3" k-tech turbo back :smile:

10. On the cheap do a back box chop, tad louder than the ktec 3" exhaust.
    I prefer the sound of the 3" though sounds fantastic and still quite when you drive like a granny. Both rumble like mad!

11. This backbox chop looks and sounds rather tasty. Presumably this is just a case of cutting out the rear silencer box and welding in a pipe?

12. ive got an older miltek cat back system on my phase 1 and it rumbles quite nicely but isn't too Loud on WOT
    better than back box chop :wink:

13. Cut and shut, go to a exhaust place and ask them to do that yes :smile:.

Although if you spend money on a cat back system the sound is more refined less tractor sounding :wink:. But on the cheap nothing wrong with a bb chop in the mean time!

14. Cool cheers.

Cost isn't really top of my priorities list at the mo, so would a full cat back system offer any better performance that the aforementioned chop?

15. It felt harder on boost to me compared to the induction.
    Not sure on figures though mine isn't mapped yet but go for the full 3" bore :smile:.

16. Is there any performance gain from a Miltec or Ktec cat back system?

Thinking about replacement air filter panel probably K&N in the standard box then a RSTuning remap.

17. I have k+n and air box mod

18. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

I have the blueflame
    Sounds sweet

19. Sweet how much bigger did you make the hole?

20. I went hell for leather with a grinder :-) got covered in hot plastic bits flying about and took it as big as I can without compermising the strength did mine to a 1.6 one I got off eBay same as the 225 give or take

21. gonna give this a crack tomorrow :smile:
    just re-oiled the K&N ready to go :cool:

22. Assume you can modify the standard air box? You just wanted to keep the standard one?