RS225 Timing belt change question. Camshaft bolts.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by CBAP, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Hi there,
    It's been a couple of years since I changed my timing belt and it is due so put the car on the hoist, used the battery side cam locking tools and pin in the front cranks shaft hole, everything lined up.

Pulled the tensioner and the belt and idler pulley. Replaced the waterpump.

Put new tensioners and idler pulley on, but for the life of me I can't get the timing belt back on.
    Both the old and the new.

Which leads to the obvious question. Do I have to release the camshaft bolts? And if so, how can I do it without the special tool? Would an impact wrench work without twisting the camshafts? Or can I use a bit of steel with holes to bolt in to the two holes in the camshaft pulley? Thoughts would be appreciated. If anyone in Australia has the camshaft locking tool, would it be possible to rent it?

Thoughts would be appreciated big time as I'm stuck without a car for the family.

Back up Mazda MX5 to get me around, but no good for picking up the kids.

Thanks,
    Carl

2. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

are you using any timing tools at all?

3. Yes, the silver horse shoe thing on the battery end of the cams, and the pin in the flywheel hole at the front of the engine.

4. It is advisable to open them just to make sure the timing belt and pulleys are aligned as good as can be, but it is not an absolute requirement. There is no need to open those bolts to get the belt back on. Yes, it's really tight to put back, but just keep trying. You can try to use e.g. some round-edged tool to slip the belt back around the pulleys.

5. Got it back on with the help of a friend. Timed it and everything seems fine. Havn't started it yet as waiting for new accessory belt idler which should be here later this week.

Also I should add, on my 225, the crankshaft timing pulley has a keyway. Seems to be some confusion as to if this is the case or not.

Thanks.
    Carl