Rs tuner advice/thinking of buying

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by imprezaworks, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Has anyone recently used one from Henk? They come pre mapped and the price is £230 ish.

appreciate any advice from anyone who has used one.

2. Good bits of kit if your too far from RST.

3. It's not that I'm too far, but working 6 days a week I don't really fancy the drive, awaits the 'well I drove from Mars to go there' comments lol.

i don't want it to be a comparison thread (unless people have examples), more of a 'yeah I've got one' type.

4. Personally I like the trip. Its good to talk to the guys that do work on your car.

I know though that henks remote tuning box is good though.

5. Ok thanks

6. I have used the RSTuner from Henk for a few years now (on a Megane 2 and my Megane 3 RS). Good piece of kit, nice logging capabilities and error code stuff implemented as well.

Funnily enough, I did a dyno run last week with my RS250 with Henk's supplied Stage 1 mapping (the generic one you buy through his website and program yourself with the RSTuner), and dynoed it against my friend's RS250 with decat and a custom mapping by Henk on a dyno last year. We produced the exact same amount of power (304hp on that particular dyno). In that sense, his generic stage 1 mapping is rather impressive, or I have an impressive engine :tongueout:

Anyways, it is highly recommendable.

The only downside I found out, which I am not so fond of, is that your ECU gets encrypted and locked, which means that no one else (other tuners, or renault) can actually overwrite the mapping part of your ECU (I am not talking about reading the mapping, that is disabled by any tuner anyways and perfectly fine to protect the tuner's mapping from being stolen). I once wanted to try a different mapping from another tuner, but he simply couldn't write to the ECU anymore, even after I flashed the stock mapping with my RSTuner to the ECU, but it was still write-locked. Only the RSTuner can still write.

Not a huge thing, but something to consider. But then again, I have been happily running Henk's maps for over 5 years now with my different cars without any issues :smile:

7. Is there any way of removing the write lock from the ECU?

8. I have read that with regards the ecu being locked.

9. Salty

Salty RSM Moderator

go to rst, I've had both on my old cup and rst was the better product imo.

10. Is RS Tuning really worth almost twice the price?

11. Locking the ecu is a concern. But then I won't be doing much else to the car.

12. the whole idea of going to RS Tuning is they will make sure the car is running correct before adding the map..
    My car was virtually new,but still had a weak injector..a potention big problem if the fueling had been incorrect with added power.

Also the map can be fine tuned to your own personel car...my R26 made 265hp/285lb/ft....
    Have had this map on the car for years now...a massive improvment on standard..you would never know it was anything but a factory map the way it delivers it power with no flat spots etc.

But more impotantly,it has never caused me any problems at any point..