275 RS Gear knob shift quality.

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by TheHood, May 5, 2022.

1. The stitching on my standard knob is starting to fray (I hear you can get a cream for that :smile:).

I like the look of the metal RS one, but given how pricey its got recently it would help the man maths equation if it had a positive effect on shift quality.

Anyone have any experience of it?

2. If your looking for shift quality then you need a short shifter or to do the short shifter mod and then something like the zeropointone extender. Makes a huge difference. Smoother closer shifts plus the gear stick a bit higher closer to the wheel.

If you want to go all out then a proper short shifter like the cae or zeropointone will be even better.

3. I liked the difference of the metal one in my old 275 compared to standard, it obviously had no change in the actual shifting but the shape and weight of the gear knob felt so much better, making the feel of the shift better. The quality of it is great.

There are also plenty of other options as mentioned above, I have a short shifter in my R26 and I highly recommend, the gear shifts are perfect.

4. Stock gearknob is weighted iirc so prob not see any difference apart from aesthetics

5. Stock gear knob is ~200g. RS metal knob is ~290g.

There is definitely an improvement with the metal knob, although I think most of it is because there is no cushioning effect giving the shift a more mechanical feel, rather than the extra mass giving more throw inertia.

And I only punched myself in the mouth lightly when swapping it :grinning:

MadPatroclus likes this.