250 RS 250 resonating sound

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Toube, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Hi,

I just noticed today that my car is giving away some resonating sound when releasing gas pedal.. it sounds like some screw would be loose or something like that.
    I checked the visible exhaust holders and they looked fine. Though the one holding / connecting the downpipe I couldn't check because I need the car lifted to do that.
    Have anyone here experienced any resonating sound from your 250/265 models?
    I'm using Supersprint exhaust.

-Toby

2. I would guess something like heat shield is loose or being touched slightly. Have had this happen on several cars over the years.

Is it constant when you come off the pedal or only at certain rpm?

3. Hi, ok good to know, it's only on releasing pedal at certain rpm.. the resonating sound is sounding like it's coming from the front / engine side of the car.

4. Sounds like a heatshield rattle then, possibly the one around the turbo or there abouts if it is engine bay related. Especially if it is at certain rpm only.

Check it out anyway :smile:

5. Hi, yes I think so also. I just noticed the rattling sound after the cars first service. So I might return the car to companyt that serviced the car and demand a free check for the rattling noise.
    Heres a clip of the sound.
    http://tobiasfransman.net/RS250_rattling.mp4

6. Yeah take it back if that is easiest, they could have left something loose, or even some tools in your bay. Renault themselves once left a spanner inside my Clio 200 door card after fixing my drivers window, idiots.

7. They shouldn't be taking anything off during a service so I doubt they have left any tools in there. Unless you had extra work done?

8. No extra done during service, only oil change, oil filter change, air filter and fresh air filter change. What did you guys think of the clip I sent.. can you hear that rattling sound in the clip?

9. So nothing has to come off when draining the oil out? Now when I run the engine on idle I can hear the rattle and when pushing the gas it gets louder. Really sounds like something is loose / nut was left somewhere and now rattles.
    I read somewhere that the cat converter can also produce rattling sound when it's broke. Though mine HJS cat is unlikely to be broken when it has been driven only few hundred miles with it.
    Well I guess I will be calling the service guys.. I hate troubleshooting.. :mad:

10. They would have taken the under tray off and the sump plug to drain the oil. And all they would only take the oil filler cap off to re-fill.

I would bet on it being a heat shield somewhere.

11. Yes you are probably right. Will have it checked and posted here later on when checked and cause found.

12. Today I rang the company that serviced my car and I will be going there for a checkup on incoming Friday, hopefully warranty will cover this.. because 1 hour price is 170€.. yes I know cheap :worried:

13. Just got it back from from the service and luckily they put it on the warranty so I saved an extra 170€. But they couldn't find the problem and the rattle only seems to make the noice when engine is cold.. So I'm going to let it rattle and if the rattle becomes louder well back to service again :smile:

14. Strange, now the rattle is completely gone.. maybe it was rock or something