RS 250 Engine and gearbox oil

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Rocketron, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Just curious about any service interval for the gearbox oil and recommended oil to use? I've read various threads about the factory oil being mineral based for a run in period that needs changed?

Also, I'm planning to change the engine oil, manufacturers spec as I used this in my
    Clio with no issue plus I have warranty left but I'm starting to get all ocd over making sure the engine is primed with oil, do any of you guys fill the fresh filter with some new oil or is there another method to make sure the pump is primed?

Cheers in advance :-)

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Millers Nanodrive or Fuchs XTR for the engine oil, Gearbox oil i just stuck with the OEM spec stuff but mine was only replaced as it was getting a clutch/flywheel done

3. For engine oil, I've been using Millers Nanodrive in my 250.

I've also just had the gearbox oil changed, I used Fuchs Titan Sintofluid SAE 75W as they had an offer on at Opie oils. I've only done 40k, but R-Sport said gearbox oil no later than 60k.

4. But do you prime the filter with the new oil before fitting or just fit the filter dry?, fill the engine with new oil and crank it over, then top up? Just being cautious, I know my Impreza p1 had to be primed due to known issues with the engine running dry until the oil pumped through.

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Ive never filled the filter on any of the changes i have done on mine and it hasn't went pop. No harm on doing so but the filter is in a proper cunt of a place so i would rather not get covered in oil, Again.

6. Yeah I get you lol, same place as the clio and pours down the water hose and usually down your sleeve, I never used to bother with that sort of thing until I started getting serious piston slap on my P1 directly after an oil change and in a matter of days the engine went. Was later asked by the guy who helped rebuild it if I'd primed the filter as it was a common issue with the boxer engine layout, feck knows but I've always para about it nowadays.

7. Mines only 13k but having just bought it i fancied changing all the fluids, peace of mind

8. I hear you, I change my oil every 6k, even though i don't do many miles.... Gearbox oil is cheap and it's easy to do, so why not :smile:

9. Precisely, plus 13k in 3 years, could have been used for nipping to the shop for messages and no proper warm ups.

What's the oem spec oil for these gearboxes?

10. Not sure about the oem stuff, but this from Tim at Opie oils:

You need an MTF for the gearbox and the best proven options are the Red Line MTL or Fuchs Sintofluid. The Millers TRX 75w-80 and Motul Motylgear are good alternatives.

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-670-75w-80-75w-85-mtfs...

11. Used redline in the clio 197, id say it made cold box issues worse than elf oem fluid. Fuchs sinto seems to be popular though, thanks I'll get right on it!

12. The cup and none cup gearboxes dont use the same oil due to the lsd in the cup gearbox.Not sure wich you have.

13. Well reminded, I'm collecting my car from renault later so I'll ask them what's meant to be used

14. I used the fuchs oil in my 250 cup, always felt a lot smoother after. I spoke to opie oils and got the right spec. Sorry i cant remember wich one.

15. thanks ordered this tonight after i saw the reply.