RS 250 - Alternator replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by James M, Jun 6, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Hi guys,

Looking to replace my faulty alternator on my MK3 RS but there doesn't seem to be a guide on here or anywhere online (at least from my brief research!)

I'm relatively handy on my tools so I'm hoping I could give it a go, but before I do, does anyone on here have previous experience replacing a mk3 alternator? Appreciate any input :smile:

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Hi James
    It's an easy job with the engine out of the car, i'm sure it can be done in place. (never done it)

There's only 2 bolts that hold it in place, ohhh and it would be a great idea to remove the belt first.
    There is the main power cable, held on with a 10mm headed nut, a single wire plug for the energising of the alternator.
    (disconnect the battery first)
    You will have to jack the car up first, best to remove the wheel and front arch liner on the drives side.

The worst part will be getting the old one out, the alternator has two sliding nuts and they pull in when tightened, a sharp whack with a hammer on the fixing bolts once you have unscrewed the bolts a few turns would help, but there's limited access with the engine in the car.

Hope this helps a bit

3. Evening Ian,

Thank you that is ideal, do you reckon it's worth taking the bumper off, or should there be decent access with the arch liner removed?

Cheers

4. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Taking the bumper off isn't going to help as the radiator, intercooler, aircon rad and the fan unit are in the way.

Decent access does not go with modern cars :cry::cry:

You will have to remove the under tray if you have one, the bumper is attached to the radiator support, so after the under tray has been removed that's the best access you will have unless you remove all the other stuff.