Rough idle

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Sparkygav, Jun 16, 2016.

1. hi all, hopefully some of you have had this issue although I can't find anything similar in the forums.

The problem started yesterday, I use my 225 cup everyday for work and quite often get stuck in a lot of traffic so the engine heats up, I noticed that the car was shaking when idle at 750 rpm, as soon as I touch the accelerator it shaking stops. I don't get any shake at all whilst driving at any speed, I have also noticed that my fuel consumption has reduced over the last 2 weeks, also I feel that I lose a little power sometimes.
    My initial thought was plugs and coils but can anyone suggest any others possibilitys please

Gav

2. Plugs, coils or injectors. Would check for play in engine mounts aswel.

3. timing belt becoming slack n needing changing, squeaky sound...
    engine mounts cause shaking though..

4. Thanks gents for the replys, I plan on replacing the plugs and coils first then the injectors, o2 and maf sensors, I don't think it's the mounts as I have been led to think that the engine would also vibrate whilst moving which the car does not.
    I'm a little concerned about the timing belt comment, I know this is due this year, is there a way of confirming a timing belt issue?

5. Can the timing belt cause a shaking when idle, the vibrating stops as soon as the Rev range hits 1000 rpm

6. Plugs and leads replaced but still the vibrating at idle, next job, replace all 4 injectors.....

7. No point to just go and change parts without confirming is there a point to do it. You can go and get injectors checked and cleaned if needed, it can help to wake them alive again sometimes.

8. I agree but I have done a stupid thing by using asda petrol for quite some time due to the ease, the car has also now done 70,000 miles so it won't hurt replacing them.
    One other thing I have noticed that started at the same time as the vibration is when I first start the car there is a massive smell of fuel within the car. Could both things point to a split hose e.t.c.