rough idle : HELP!!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by keenan225, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Right guys wondering if you can help me out, over the last few weeks the car has developed a slightly rough idle, small fluctuations in revs and a slight vibration throughout the car, after some searching problem looked to be the injectors, now I've sent them away and spoke to the guy today and he says the injectors look fine in the test, just a small in balance in the spray patern, now would that be enough to cause the symptoms or is there anything else that could be related, sensors or whatever

any help is much appreciated thanks paul

2. Hi mate. Don't worry just yet I had the exact same conversation with the bloke who did mine as well.

He said he would be very surprised if cleaning them would stop the rough idle and the EML light from flashing as he said they weren't too dirty at all.

I put them back in and it idles perfectly and no EML light at all and that was 2000 mile ago.

Also, don't be alarmed if the car takes longer to start and cranks a few more seconds than usual, mine did this and slowly got better over the course of a week - don't ask me why?!

3. Did you get them cleaned tho, mines haven't been cleaned as of yet, the guy is going to try and find out more information tonight

Also, I dont have any EML lights on or errors on the trip computer, do you recommend getting them cleaned anyway

4. Yeah I got them done anyway and they said the spray pattern was fine but the flow rate was a tiny bit off. Put them back in and the car was perfect.

5. I'll miby just go ahead then and ask him to clean them see if it makes a difference

6. Well small update, got the injectors cleaned, the guy says they didn't look bad in the test but got them cleaned anyway and the flow test did show up that they were infact better after the clean and he said he didn't think they had such a high flow rate, anyway leads me to another situation lol once refitting the injectors I thought while I was in there it would be good to clean the TB so went to dismantle it and noticed that the vacuum pipe had black tape round it on one of the one way valves, its been broken somewhere down the line either off the previous owner or when the car has been in the garge in my ownership, so I re-tapped it while I source a new pipe, only for me to brake it at the TB end :mad:

so got one on order and hopefully it arrives tomorrow and all os well with the rough idle, fingers crossed

7. Sorry to be thick. What's a TB? Boost pipe?

8. Haha sorry, throttle body :rolleyes:

9. matt e

matt e South East RSM Area Rep

TB = Throttle body

10. Cheers fellas