250 Retrofit LSD

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by NathanF, Dec 3, 2015.

1. I'm sure this has been asked, but I can't find it in the search.

So long story short, as these cars are in short supply and I had a very hard limit on my budget, I went for a FF over a Cup as I really didn't think I'd miss the diff and stiffer chassis. And I didn't...until the weather changed and now I'm lamenting the lack of grip. Sure, almost shot Dunlops are not helping but with a remap on the cards next year I'm only going to compound the problem.

Question is, how hard/feasible is it to retrofit the cup diff? I'm not so fussed about the springs/dampers, its the diff. Also, what kinda figures are we talking for a new one or if by magic a 2nd hand one turns up?

Any advice (other than chop the FF in for a Cup :tongueout: as I still want all the toys and have become attached to the car already) is welcome :cool:

Nath.

2. I think the easiest thing to do would be to get a cup gearbox. THe diff is built in to it i think.

3. Got ya!

I'm guessing that a 2nd hand one is the only option then as a new 'box from Renault would be eye-wateringly expensive!

4. I have one I was keeping as a spare for mine Nathan (whole box - low mileage) I may be able to be persuaded to part with :smile:

5. Daz

Daz

You know your own gearbox, just fit a diff.

6. I think you have a couple of options here. Definitely you can fit the diff in your gearbox if you find one, but the need a good shop to set your clearances and shims for the diff, is not just a drop and go item.
    Another option is to get yourself an aftermarket one. The only option I know of is a Gripper Diff. The diff is more aggressive but it needs maintenance which is not something desired for a daily drive. For racing and track days, you get more for your money. Same applies you need to shim the gearbox. There is a Gripper Diff for same in the forum somewhere.
    Getting a Cup box helps because you can just fit the bax without opening and lowers the price a little.

..but, there is a big but. If you take your gearbox down and you potentially open it, then it makes a lot of sense to chance the bearings as well which are a known failure and if the gearbox is already open, then changing them almost comes free.

I've done the swap in my car with a GKN unit in my diesel box (M2RS dCi shares the same gbx with your M3RS) and the diff swap, shimming and bearings change and the whole cost was around £500.

And some links, maybe you need them:

http://www.bearingkits.co.uk/Renaul...earbox-with-limited-slip-differential/822.htm
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Renault-Meg...ne-bearing-oil-seal-rebuild-kit-/141652221980

S.

7. Thanks all.

I think I am going down this route, assuming mrpink doesn't decide to hang onto his box :smile: As it's from a low mileage car I'm probably not going to bother with bearings and I may well leave my current clutch in as it's only done 22k.

Other than that, is it just a straight box swap, nothing needed via the CLIP to tell the car to expect less slip etc?

I did even look at changing the whole car last night, but finding a full fat with all the toys and the cup pack is pretty difficult for what I paid for mine and in a colour I like. That and I like this one, it's mine :smile:

8. Just look for a PK4 018 box. 018 is the LSD version :wink:

9. Johnson

Johnson Banned

There's a 250 cup gearbox on eBay think it's about 500 quid