Replacing Mk3 Front Bumper Trim

Discussion in 'Exterior & Bodywork' started by dan4291, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Is there a guide anywhere to replacing the lower plastic trim/spoiler on the Mk3 front bumper? Heard it's held in by C clips but there's rivets as well that need drilling out and presumably replacing? Anyone got pictures of where the rivets are?

2. There's one either side. it rivets through the front curved undertray into the bottom of the bumper. Look underneath near the front wheel.

I think the rivets are 4.8x20mm.

3. Thanks, going to give this a go soon so will take pictures and post them here.

4. Hi, just wondered if you got anywhere with this as I recently bought a 275 and the bumper lip has cracked / split probably due to the previous owner hitting a kerb. I have the lip on order from Renault Parts Direct but any guidance on replacing the original is appreciated! Looks like I need to get a couple of rivets or plastic trim fittings for the end fixings as well...

5. No not yet, but I finally got round to ordering a replacement front bumper trim last night so hoping to get it sorted at the weekend.

6. No worries, I will probably be doing the same so will take some pictures etc for future reference.

7. Finally got round to replacing my bumper lip over the weekend. It's not too fiddly but you need to remove the front undertray first as the fixings for the lip are overlapped by the undertray.

I removed 5x 10mm bolts on my undertray although the outer 2 were so corroded I needed an 11mm socket on them (despite my car only being a 2016 model with 11k miles on the clock!!).

Then there are 2x ali rivets at each end of the undertray that I snipped off (replaced with plastic trim fittings when reassembling).

The undertray then pulls down at the rear and slides towards the rear of the car to remove from the bumper pegs. The bumper lip then slides backwards off the pegs as well to remove.

Here are a few pics to show what you are dealing with.
    Undertray and lip removed:
    Photo%2015-09-2019%2C%2017%2042%2014.jpg

Pegs in the front bumper that the lip and undertray slide onto:
    Photo%2015-09-2019%2C%2017%2043%2043.jpg

End rivet location for the bumper lip. You can also see the black plastic tab just below the bottom left of the screenwash reservoir where the undertray is riveted onto on each side:
    Photo%2015-09-2019%2C%2017%2043%2054.jpg

Hope that's helpful for others.

8. Hello there, sorry for being a complete noob but what size plastic rivet should I be looking for to replace the ali ones? So 4.8 is the dia whereas 20mm being the length? Is that correct? Thank you!

9. To be honest I can't remember, I have a box of plastic trim rivets that I just matched the best size / fit. Halfords do a mixed set here:

https://www.halfords.com/tools/fuse...-assorted-screw-trim-rivets-93pcs-333609.html

But I'm sure you could find them cheaper if you hunt around online...

PaulYeung and Beau like this.