Replace Scuttle drain

Discussion in 'Exterior & Bodywork' started by MikePad, Sep 7, 2020.

1. I'm a fairly recent owner of a 225 Trophy and have been doing all the usual checks. I have no water in the car but when investigating the drains I realised that the drivers side one has a split that I can feel with my finger. I need to replace this and although there are lots of posts about water ingress and drain clearing I can't find anything about actually pulling out the rubber pipe and replacing it. Has anybody done this? I'm worried about not being able to thread a new pipe into the correct position and making things worse! It also seems odd that the pipe has a split of a couple of inches, but no water seems to get into the car - even after the heavy thunderstorms we have had recently.

2. Hi Mike
    The rubber pipe runs down behind the engine and the heat shield in the engine bay, doesn't run into the passenger compartment.
    the reason that water gets into the cabin is when they block the level rises up far enough to then run into the air intake for the heater.
    If the rubber is split its not really a problem all it means is that all the water is not running out the bottom but some will run down the bulkhead and yes there are a shit to fit, unless you remove the engine

4. Thanks for the reply - I was hoping that a split was not a big issue but I wasn't sure as its so tight at the back of the engine that there's no way to see where the pipe is routed. Now I've had the scuttle panel off I can see where the water can get in via the air intake if the drains get blocked. Not the best design and with autumn on the way I will keep an eye on the drains. I wonder if anybody has tried to improve access - perhaps by using a hole saw to cut a circle out above each drain that is the correct size to take a large removable rubber grommet? That way a flush out would be possible in a couple of minutes. I will see if I can get a scrap scuttle panel and see what might be possible.

5. Hi mike,

I cleaned the scuttle drains at the weekend on mine as drivers side was totally blocked.
    I’ve used silicone around the top on previous cars so the water filters over it and down the hole. Shouldn’t be a big problem but i did this...
    Clean off the grime around the whole area before flushing more down the drains.
    I used this... 719758E2-7226-45FE-9487-FBE26F93C711.jpeg
    Poor warm water with a general purpose cleaner down the drains, then feed the plumbers cable down the hole and work it around until it flushes away. It’s a smooth spring basically so won’t cause any damage and you’ll see the water come out just behind the inner wheel arches. Dry it all off and you’re done mate

6. I know this topic is done to death but Ian's post above explaining why it comes into the cabin is the first time I've read it.

My passenger drain is clear. In fact, someone in the past has cut the drain pipe about 1 inch from the skuttle panel so all the rain water/and washing actually pours onto the engine bay.

This skuttle is just above the grommet for the main look into the car.

Could I be getting capillary reaction, water falling onto the loom and into the cars from there.

Inside the cabin, the loom isn't wet, it's more the air con pipe side

7. I use my cycling camelback tube cleaning brush to clean my drains (must get a new one for my camelback), and then use some screwed up net mesh nicked from my wife’s shower exfoliating loofah thing, pushed inside the top of the drain, to stop leaves etc. going down the drain.