Renaultsport Megane Cup-S 275 (Flame Red)

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by RS_Jamie, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Davyy likes this.
  2. Pull it off pretty damn hard, will feel like you're breaking it but then it's just a swap over job

Davyy likes this.
  3. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Decat makes a huge difference to the noise on them, Videos never really do them justice.

Ill be honest, mine would of been a lot more enjoyable with stockish power on the road anyway, It was way to capable to push to the limits without risking my license or life [emoji23]

Saying that, the replacement isn't that much better but it's a lot more enjoyable being N/A and RWD

4. Been starting to think the decat might be a waste the more I think about it but I can't be sure. I think I need to drive a potential replacement to see whether I would have my heart set on it first.

How is the M3? I follow you on Instagram and looks pretty awesome. Is it manual or DCT?

5. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Yeah that's fair enough, no point spending the cash on doing it then still not being sure about it

Yeah it's good, totally different to the Megane but it's not a fair comparison due to how the Megane ended up vs full fat road M3, Only about 1.5s off the Megane at Knockhill on the first TD I done though so plenty potential. Far more of an event to drive though and a lot more fun

Manual because I'm a purist.

Jokes, was set on a DCT to be fair but this one came up local with all the bits done so was happy to sacrifice by choice of box, it's not that bad really and I'll probably end up with a CAE type shifter in it anyway

6. I'll see how I get on driving a potential replacement, went for another B road hoon today and I wasn't smiling massively although it was super capable, something wrong with me

I bet it's mega, probably feel the weight a lot more I imagine. Are you going to go as far as you did with the Megane or a bit more simple with this one?

7. I’ll be getting rid of my CGR decat soon, cant handle the constant pops and bangs

8. Is it too much? How much does it make a difference to the actual noise the car makes without the pops and bangs?

9. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Tbf it's far more satisfying wringing an N/A motor out on a UK b road than whooshing along with boost.

Nah its staying relatively standard, full interior etc, Just a nice road car that can still show up at a circuit and be pretty capable so just small tweaks to improve it without going too far

10. Literally. This is exactly it. Being in an N/A engine'd car is so much better than turbo. It doesn't help I've been surrounded by Hondas from my brother and now the Clios.

Sounds awesome, I follow you on Instagram so look forward to seeing how the car turns out!

11. Just a small update, since driving the car around with the rear seats down it has 100% made it more smile inducing. Fallen completely back in love with it and it won't be going anywhere. I've got the car booked in with KTEC this week to have the front braided lines fitted before the track day and I may have potentially ordered a decat from CGR..

I gave the car a good scrubbing over this weekend to get it back in top condition after the poor weather conditions and not washing it for a few weekends. Afterwards, I went for a bit of a hoon on the local New Forest roads and to take some pictures with my brother as the sun was beginning to set. The pictures speak for themselves but Flame Red is absolutely incredible, dare I say I prefer it to Liquid Yellow..

YHshoYt.jpg mjiEUlB.jpg yB1wo2w.jpg oVkw8YI.png

Absolutely love this car and very happy with it in its current state, it definitely doesn't need any modifications but it's going to be a proper project. I've got a few minor things planned before for the track day on October 18th so stay tuned, it's only just getting started..

JlllCK J, 197gaz, Alex Essex and 2 others like this.
  12. I have been in a similar position to you. I bought my first Megane 250 in 2016, during the 12 month of ownership (before I sold it in May 2017) I really missed the 182 I had previously. Like 'Notadiesel' said having a N/A car to chase the red line in is always good to have, not to mention the cheap maintenance.

Now I have a very low mileage 250 and a FF 182. For me, at the moment :wink: , its the perfect combination. The megane is such a good car but I look forward to driving the clio more when the weathers good.

Your car looks great in the photos.

RS_Jamie likes this.
  13. Did you sell the Megane because you wanted to chase the redline in an N/A car?

It does sound like you’re in a very good position with your two car garage. I’ve realised that not every car can be so capable and I shouldn’t think of it as a negative, definitely a positive as it is very good fun.

Thanks dude, very happy with it.

14. Seats down is a massive difference to seats up. Completely took me by surprise when i first did it. I'm looking to do a mid box chop at some point to get that kind of drama all of the time.

Beautiful pics btw.

D2VOO and RS_Jamie like this.
  15. I would do a mid box chop but with the Akrapovic, I think it would be ruining God's creation :tearsofjoy:

Thanks dude, super happy with them

16. Ha ha, no, chasing the red line wasn’t the main reason. The clio is more raw than the Megane, bit more involving and like I said, very cheap to maintain ( which is always a bonus).

17. Even with the appalling weather that we were faced with this weekend, I still managed to try and sort some smaller bits on the Meg. Having the rear seats folded down to allow for more noise for a few weeks now, it really got me thinking that I may as well just take 'em out, plus, weight loss? My friend and I went about taking out the rear seats this weekend, really simple job actually with minimal tools needed. Funnily enough, it encouraged my brother to take his rears out on his DC5 Integra whose coming to Abingdon. I've currently got the rear boot mat out but I might add that back in to make the boot functional as it's still my daily driver but looks so much more race car, love it.

After doing this, I persuaded him to help me dewiper the Meg. I've had the KillAllWipers kit for a while now but not been making use of it. With the pissing rain, we drove 10 miles into town through terrible traffic to get into a car park so we had complete shelter. Total and utter commitment or stupidity, your pick! We seemed to get that done easy enough with a few bits being frustrating as to be expected. I also swapped out the aerial for a stubby one as it just makes the roof look so much smoother and better.

My whole idea with this car is a Megane Clubsport project so I'm now trying to slowly find a company to help me false floor the rear. In time that should be the setting for a nice harness bar or half cage, my inner demons are telling me to go for the latter.. For the time being however, it is ready for Abingdon on Friday, cannot wait. Fingers crossed now that the sun makes a wild appearance, but then again, it is the UK..

18. I'd look at doing it yourself. Get yourself some automotive carpet, and some MDF and have a crack yourself. It's what I'll be doing soon.

19. Might have to give it a go, just want to make sure that it’s done to a high quality and I can’t see myself doing that, way too fussy

20. Track day complete at Abingdon.

The car was absolutely incredible, it felt so incredibly capable that the only real let down of the day was the Bridgestone Potenza RE050A's that I had on were giving up mid-corner constantly, even after one or two hard laps. I'm not ashamed to say I was going through a high speed corner, felt like I chucked it in too hard and had a terrible "oh sh*t" reaction where I lifted off and went spinning onto the grass. However, I went back out, built my confidence back up and was overtaking cars again by the end of the day.

I want to say a special part that the Ohlins option was worth every penny for this. On the way there in the 'bump B-road' setting cruising to Abingdon, comfy as can be. As soon as I got there, adjusted it to the Nurburgring lap time record settings and there was near enough to zero body roll. In fact, I didn't realise how little body roll there was until I drove my brother's highly specced but stock suspension DC5 Integra Type R which had a fair bit of body roll. I could've stiffened it up even more, the suspension is absolutely fantastic.

Overall, it really made me recognise how well sorted and capable the Méganes are with very little modifications. I had an absolutely awesome day, events aside. Next track day has to be booked for early next year for certain!

21. While I was at the track day I had been inquiring about some Renault Tibors wrapped in 245/40 AD08R all round on eBay, which I was thinking to myself would sort my itch for 18s and ensure I have some mega tyres for the next track day so tyres weren't something I'd be worrying about.

6hrs 10mins later, I got back from Essex and the car looks so much more purposeful with the chunky AD08Rs on, yet to give them a real test but I'm incredibly excited. I've also changed the oil, but had difficulties with the filter without the right tool so that will be on order to change the filter after the next track day then I'll be back to changing the oil and filter after every track day. I'm only a few months into ownership with this car but I am looking forward to owning this for a long time and making use of what an incredible car it really is.

22. Great review of your experiences. Good to here how accomplished your std (albiet with a few choice options) car is at track work.

RS_Jamie likes this.
  23. Thanks mate, I think every Mégane owner should take it out on track at least once. It’s mega fun and couldn’t recommend it enough if you’re looking for a step up from a B-road hoon.

Pyper likes this.
  24. Was it easy enough to do the suspension adjustment with the wheels on? I think i remember seeing a video.

Been meaning to fiddle with mine as not touched since buying, its been at the dealers 3 times and in for tyres once.

I don't know what if was set to when I bought it and someone could have fiddled with it since.

RS_Jamie likes this.
  25. Very easy, yeah, need to rummage around for the fronts a bit but rears are very accessible. To make the fronts easier you can go on full lock to reach your hand in a bit better.

For me I have it at the bumpy B road setting because it really handles bumps very well. I changed it to factory setup and it’s a bit stiffer but you don’t really get a hugely better feel so not worth it in my eyes.

Track time however is where it really comes in handy and when it’s really stiffened up, it comes into it’s own, very very good suspension.

26. So, after a bit of waiting for it to arrive, it is finally here.. the CGR Automotive decat.

hOeTuFU.jpg iAgRGy6.jpg

I mean.. look at those welds!? I was referred to CGR Automotive by a few people, being told that it was superior quality and I have not been disappointed in the slightest.

There will be a slight delay before fitting as I'm trying to find the best place to take it to, but mainly, I have the car booked in with Renault next Tuesday as there is an absurd amount of creaking from the front suspension going over bumps and having had the ball joints sorted recently, this removed it for a period of time but it has returned with a vengeance! Luckily, the car is in warranty until May 2020 so, fingers crossed, they should find the fault and work on making the car creakless again.

Minor upgrade wise, I have some new Philips WhiteVision Ultra bulbs arriving to be installed on the car as the DRLs have a lovely white to them and the headlights are more yellow. I'm not expecting xenon white but it should make the car look a bit smarter at night and improve the terrible OEM bulbs.

Gavin. and oldfella like this.
  27. Finally got round to having the combination of a clean car, Tibors on and free time to take some photos of how the car is looking currently. The other minor differences since last time are the KillAllWipers dewiper kit has been installed and I've added the stubby wiper.

Pictures speak for themselves but it's not bad progress considering it's not even been four months yet.

VKXhE6c.jpg heDWCzs.jpg hrhVlWZ.jpg

The colour still gets me every time.

There are a few things that I've got on my mind to try and get done over the next couple of months but it has to be funds permitted. ideally, I really would like to be doing track days daily next year but we'll see how it pans out. Still trying to find time to get the CGR decat on but that'll be going on in the next few weeks for certain.

Travisteel likes this.
  28. Looking good. Definitely something about that colour!
    Take it you have fitted the whitevision bulbs too.
    Couldnt decide myself between the xtremevision or whitevision, leaning more towards the xtremevision for visibility and reviews were slightly better, be interesting to know what you thought of the whitevisions?

29. Thanks dude, it is a lovely colour.

Yeah the WhiteVision Ultras have been fitted. Pretty happy with them to be honest, it's not Xenon white for sure but it is an improvement. Ironically, while I was fitting them I realised there were some Philips in there already, unsure on which bulb. Personally, I'm hoping these will be the ones to go for with the durability as well.

30. Perfect spec with the tibors now

RS_Jamie likes this.
  31. With Black Friday coming up, I've got my eyes on a set of coilovers to see whether I can find a good deal on them. Something I'm hoping to change before it comes around to better weather for track days. In the meantime, finding it difficult to stay on top of cleaning the Megane but I'm finding Flame Red is very good at disguising the dirt, as you can see below but the gloss is shining through. Looking forward to adding a more "hunkered down" kind of stance to the car and removing the incessant knocking and creaking which really ruins my time in the car.

YnNcO4t.jpg
    89LttdX.jpg
    m6QthRg.jpg

32. The first of my few Black Friday purchases have arrived for the car, a brand new Recaro SPG. Admittedly, at first, not the seat that I was looking for, I was leaning towards the Pole Position route. However, with a great deal at hand, I couldn't turn it down and after sitting in them both back to back, I completely think I've made the right purchase, there is so much more support on hand. Here it is, just your bog standard Recaro SPG.

zORDiNv.jpg

Need to figure out how to get it into the car, I have the Supreme Motorsport seat mounts and received my bolts to fit the seat today. However, I need to sort the complication of the seatbelt from my OEM Recaro and then getting rid of the airbag light which I'm not looking forward to and currently struggling with.

The next few purchases will be here at the latest in January and I can't wait to get it all fitted. It's going to be a different car.

NotaDiesel!!! likes this.
  33. Seat does look nice.

Did you get one or a pair for the Trophy-R look?

Be intresting to get a weight on it & then weigh wjat you take out to see the saving.

Does it sit lower?

34. Thanks dude, just the one for now money permitting but I’d like a pair.

According to Renault’s claims, the Trophy R saved 20kg from seats. I did a little Google and they’re meant to weight 6.5kg, very easy to hold with one hand.

Seating wise Position, I’m hoping it’ll finally take it that bit lower which I’ve been looking for as I always thought the OEM Recaros sat ever so slightly high.

NotaDiesel!!! likes this.
  35. That's a nice weight saving if you do the pair and take bench out and you are on 18's now.

Like the idea of the buckets always looks cool when people take the comfy electric chairs out of E92 M3 and RS4 and replace with these.

Downside for me is my wife and I swap cars as and hen and I have seat in lowest and she has in highest as she is about 6 inches shorter.

36. Yeah bench is out, not sure I’ll ever get to a point of weighing it but maybe. With the second seat it’ll be just a matter of doing some saving. Part of me quite likes the one seat aftermarket and the other OEM.

Yeah that’s the difficulty, I’ve got a bolt in seat frame so no adjustability as nobody ever really drives my car but if you’re sharing, it becomes a lot more expensive with side mounts, sliders etc. if you thought about doing it

37. Great read so far with good detail and good pics. keep it up! I'm considering one of these at the moment myself.

RS_Jamie likes this.
  38. Thanks, Jimbo. Have you got a Mégane already or a previous owner? I can’t recommend them enough, it is very very good. With the facelift interior it feels a touch more modern and a lot more welcoming to be daily driven.