250 Removing OEM exhaust...

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by hooverphonique, May 2, 2015.

1. Hi guys,

just looking at preparing to install my cat-back milltek, and then I realize it seems like the OEM one is one piece from the cat back. At least there are no joints between the resonator and rear box as far as I can tell..Does this mean that I need to get the car on one of those lifts where the car is not on its wheels in order to get the oem system up over the rear beam and back out (it's not that worn so prefer not having to cut it into pieces) or what is the easiest way to get it off?

cheers...

2. Ovy

Ovy

It has to be cut to remove or it's a hell of a job. Just cut it in a sensible place and clean cut so that it can be welded back together if req.

3. Hmm...The answer I was afraid I'd get.. I wonder how renault techs do it when they install a new oem system?

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  4. Drop the rear beam probably, but heard of people having just the back box replaced at renault and they joint it.

5. A small tip, I think it's the same as the clios, unbolt the rear strut tops and the axle swings down, remember the springs will too but it will mean you don't have to cut the exhaust or remove the axle but you will have to locate the springs again when jacking up the rear axle again

6. Replacement systems from Renault come in pieces anyway so it makes no difference if you cut it to get it off.

7. really? how quaint.. I suppose they are the standard exhaust which is just cut in half and must be welded back together? (no sense in having 2 different exhaust models)..

8. Not even welded, they're just sleeved together or clamped.

9. As already stated you are able to get both a replacement rear silencer and middle silencer from Renault.
    On the exhaust there are markings with two dots on the pipe that indicate where to cut the exhaust in order to get the original replacement parts to line up.
    So unless you really want to take it off in one piece I would suggest that you cut the exhaust (using a chain cutter) in the same places as you would when replacing with original parts.

10. thanks for the replies, everyone..

what is a "chain cutter" ? I was thinking angle grinder...

11. Aye, I just used a chaincutter as well to remove the OEM exhaust. Works a treat, and you don't even need to lift the car up that high in order to cut the pipe, making it a decent DIY job without the need for a car lift.