175 DCI Removing front wheel hub/bearing

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by L-1011, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Anybody done a front wheel bearing on a 225/230/175?

Thinking of using a budget threaded press/puller method.

Wandering if anyone knows how well they seat and wether a proper hydraulic press is required?

RS 175 Cup Lux

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

I have, 4lb lump hammer and a couple of solid blocks and belt the shite out of it to get the old bearing out, then i put the new bearing in with a vice, tapping in the edge of the bearing with said hammer as you are tightening the vice. :laughing:

3. Yeah but I was going to do it in situ with the knuckle/upright still fitted to the car.

RS 175 Cup Lux

4. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

not a chance :openmouth:

5. With the threaded press method you usually can. Bub out with the slide hammer. Press out remaining bearing. Press everything else back in.

Obviously you'd have to drop the CV out first.

6. The shaft will either come straight out without too much force, or be a right PITA.
    We had to make up a decent size puller and use a lot of force to free one.
    [​IMG]

7. Yeah I can split the shaft out easy enough. Well the first time it was a pita but I've a bolt on press which did the trick with an extended breaker bar.

[​IMG]

It's removing the actual hub and then bearing afterwards I'm interested in.

I know you can use a set like this to wind them out once the shaft and CV are out of the way:

[​IMG]

RS 175 Cup Lux

8. What is the hub swivel bearing like?

You could separate the rotational part of the hub if the swivel wants replacing but you'd be into undoing the 13mm bolts to separate the hub from the wishbone either way. I think otherwise you wont get the hub far enough forward to get the shaft out of the rear?

9. Just done swivels hence why I'm now looming at hub bearing. Didn't want to have to remove them again so would be coming off from the 13mm bolts. Drop out CV, loosely reassemble and then get to removing hub and bearing.

I've used this before on other cars. Bolt up to hub and use slide hammer to remove that. Then use threaded press to press out remaining bearing. Press new bearing back in and then press hub back in.

As long as you've got the right diameter spacers and such it works.

What I really wanted to know is how right they are on the Meganes.

Sometimes these things tap out and sometimes they don't budge unless you get a 10t press behind them.

If they are easy enough I'll just get a kit as above.

RS 175 Cup Lux

10. What brand wheel bearing did you go for buddy?

11. OE.
    From RPD on here!

Not got it though as a bit of a mix up. So not done the job yet. Need to get it off the car to press it out at work but need the car to get to work and can't strip car at work. Grrr!

So probably getting a used knuckle and build it up at work or if used bearing ok leave the new one til the summer.

Or get a second car [emoji13]

RS 175 Cup Lux