Removing decat

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by Agreen, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Noticed a crack and tiny hole in the decat pipe where it meets the turbo.

From previous searches, it seems like removing the cat is a real bitch of a job, but not sure if removing a pre-existing decat will be slightly easier due to it being smaller?

I can see the worst of the damage up top but no idea what it's like underneath, I'm hoping I could just weld it up as I only really intend to use it for track use.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

2. Decat will make if easier when everything is undone/removed to squeeze out but still takes a good bit of dismantling to create space.

Drive shaft, dog bone mount, drive shaft bearing and mount,

I done mine just after Christmas and it faught all the way

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

3. Seems like it'll still be a major pita!

I slapped some putty over the crack to see if it made much difference and it seems it's only at the top side, not underneath! May see if a welder can touch it up in situ for now!

4. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Is it a scorpion decat? 86b2e9748b007832d21b7dc1fb37d263.jpg 12b955fecb62c1c545cf589f8b8db997.jpg

5. Jesus!

No idea tbh, it was already on when I bought the car.

Had a quick look from underneath yesterday when the car was up on a ramp and it's surprisingly rusty, so can't be stainless or anything of any reasonable quality I imagine.