250 Remove steering wheel plastic trim

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Charlie Howard, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Charlie Howard

Charlie Howard RSM Club Member

Has anyone removed the plastic trim from the MK3 steering wheel? I want to wrap mine black and wondered how to get them off?

2. You mean the 3 silver bits on the side and bottom of the steering wheel.

3. Charlie Howard

Yes!

4. Be careful, no individual parts of the steering wheel are available from Renault, not even the small cable for the horn with it´s special plugs. If somethings going wrong and is destroyed, you need a complete new wheel. I´ve modified my wheel with a spacer underneath to get it closer for better seat position and i removed it 10 times for sure to figure out how to rework it. In this context I know the wheel shape pretty well.
    If you break a plastic cover of it, no chance to rework it. To my opinion, you can´t remove the small plastics without destroying. Keep it stock or give it to an upholsterer who is familiar with this stuff….

5. Charlie Howard

Well I was going to get my wheel retrimmed by Royal Steering Wheels and I assume they remove it to trim it but he said he won't do them black for me so I would have to do that. Not sure what to do.

6. Someone on here has done theirs black, can't remember who

7. Charlie Howard

They seem like they're glued on but I'm not sure.

8. I took all the plastic off mine before sending to Royal, the parts as said can snap easy. There’s 3 legs on each piece that go into moulding at slight angle so need to slowly pull them out without lifting one side higher than the other which causes the snap. I broke 2 legs off and used Araldite to re-secur them. once done 1 the others are slightly easier but not much

9. Charlie Howard

Do you have to remove the airbag?

10. You sure do, rotate the wheel upside down there’s a hole you put a thin screwdriver into and push a clip that releases one side air bag, disconnect battery ten mins before doing this

11. Charlie Howard

Ah okay, thanks!