Rebuild or used engine?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by SilveR26, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Hi all,

Unfortunately my alternator bolt sheared off the other week and then took out the cambelt, as a result I am now looking at an engine rebuild. However, the mechanic working on the car has suggested that a used engine may be a better option. I'd prefer to retain and rebuild the original if I'm honest.

What do the good people of this forum think? Have you had a similar experience and if so which route did you take and why?

Cheers

2. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Surely you are only looking at a top end rebuild, or are you wanting to go to the next step ??
    Are you going to use it on track, fast road or what, what mileage is on the car.

To future proof the engine fit some forged con rods and pistons (less than £1k) then later if you want you can go for bigger turbo etc etc etc, on top of the pistons there will be gaskets, bearings new oil pump and the big one, labour.

There is no point getting another engine unless yours is completely knackered like a hole in the block with a con rod hanging out of it.
    If its just the head, get a set of supertec valves and better single valve springs.

3. It should just be top end yes, still waiting to find out the full extent of the damage though. The car has done 79k it's my daily driver that has never been on track and I don't really have any plans to take it on track if I'm honest.

Thankfully labour shouldn't be too extortionate as it's a mate doing it and he normally looks after me.

What are the advantages of the supertec valves? I've seen them when I have been looking for parts etc but they are significantly more expensive than just a like for like replacement.

4. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

In that case just get the valves done, the reason i said Supertec valves is that they will be cheaper than new ones from Renault, same as the pistons and rods, forged ones are cheaper than standard ones