265 Rear exhaust silencer removal

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by paulmorgan901, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Has anyone fitted one of these?[​IMG]

Just wondering what the difference in sound (if any) is compared with the mid-box removal.

Quite expensive for what it is but looks well made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Waiting for MartijnGizmo in 3, 2, 1 ... :smiley:

P.S. Can't we tag users?

3. Yeah, I have one fitted. Sounds great, it's well made idd, but the supplied clamp isn't a perfect fit. It's good enough, but could've been better made at this price point IMHO.

4. Yeah you can the at symbol followed by the person's user name @StephRS

StephRS likes this.
  5. I think to simply cut the silencer and put a tube with same diameter will do the same job and cost way less ...
    Edit: oups silencer not mid box, ignore meee.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  6. Actually you're right ... seen the price of the GT Performance tube you can ask some metal works garage to take a look.

7. I paid £50 cash at the weekend to have my centre-box cut out and replaced with a straight pipe, there is no reason why you couldn't do the same to the rear box. It would all be the standard 2.5" diameter though, but without upgrading the whole system its just an inexpensive way of adding a bit of sound. Its the Cat that's the bottle-neck power wise, so without replacing/upgrading this the only real benefit of messing with the cat-back system is just noise.

I and the exhaust guy were very surprised at just what little difference cutting out the relatively large centre-box made - perhaps 10-20% and a few crackles under load. The back-box is quite small though so don't think it will make the car much louder if removed.

8. The sound will get better once its bedded in, agree its not a huge change but a very welcome one for the small amount you paid. Did you try under sports mode? quite the difference there under load with heaps more pops.
    Going full straight pipe is definitely an option, people have commented that it sounds very raw without any boxes and obviously louder, other option is installing a smaller sports muffler instead of the back box.

9. Yes I did try it in Sports mode, like you say it made more of a difference but not as much as I was expecting. I won’t ever go full straight-through but adding a smaller back box is an option possibly for the future. Realistically when funds allow I will probably put a 3" Milltek cat-back on (without a centre-box), and possibly at some point can then fit a sports-cat. For £50 it was a cheap, fun, way though of adding a little more sound.

10. KillieRs likes this.
  11. Removing the back box makes a bigger difference, quite a bit louder and lots more pops and crackles.