265 Rear brake dust

Discussion in 'Suspension, Brakes, Wheels & Tyres section' started by testbloke, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Have now had the car a few weeks. Noticing a huge amount of brake dust, but surprisingly, the rears are far worse than the fronts!
    I note on the RAC inspection and MOT report on the car before I took delivery, that the rear pads were changed.
    Wondered on opinion if this could just be the pads bedding in ar if they have just fitted cheap generic pads that are getting destroyed!
    Unusual to see the rears seemingly taking way more punishment than the fronts.

2. as say unusual for rears, i'd guess the pads are super cheap could try fitting a more main stream aftermarket pad of which there are numerous see how goes

3. Thanks. Given the amount of dust being generated, I think they will only last a few months anyway. I was surprised generally how progressive the brakes are, I had an M135i with M-performance brakes and they were like hitting a wall, I find myself leaning on the Megane's brakes quite heavily, they do seem surprisingly progressive

4. all about the pads and fluid with these, fit right combination and that 'wall' will be right back if thats what need

testbloke likes this.
  5. Would just like the pedal to feel a bit more "urgent", at the moment it feels like the engine has more urgency than the anchors can cope with.

Any recommendations on pads and fluid, it has the grooved discs

6. i'll not go into pads as its such personal choice but if ask on some FB megane forums you'll be overwhelmed with ideas anything north of say £120 for fronts and be in right direction

fluid wise minimum would be Motul RBF660 or spend bit more and go with top range castrol React srf (not the performance dot4)

testbloke likes this.
  7. Turn off the esc

8. Yes exactly this as with it ON the ECU sensor constantly ‘nibbles” the rear brakes in an attempt to help stabilise the vehicle

9. Thanks for the tip regarding ESC. In this case it was just cheap sh8t pads that had been fitted. When I bought eh car I thought the pads and discs would be a single source being Brembo, did not realise the huge array of options. The rear pads I googled and cost about £8, no wonder they were crap!
    Now have decent pads, RBF660 and braided lines waiting to get fitted

BIG E likes this.