R26 Rattle/tappet type noise

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by adR26am, Feb 10, 2014.

1. I've got this distinctive tapping/rattle from the engine bay. It can only be heard at low revs, as the revs are falling from a blip of the throttle. It decreases with engine spee and cannot be heard at idle. Thoughts? Does it engine cold or warm.

sukhy96 likes this.
  2. Loose engine cover or plastic trims around the edges

3. Ive got this same noise just had cambelt redone as was suspected it was one of the pulleys but noise is still there could it really only be loose trims?

4. I have same kind of problem on my 250, does yours sound anything like this: http://tobiasfransman.net/RS250_rattling.mp4 ?

5. R26

R26

Loose heat shield? Maybe?

I used to have a tapping noise which I'm guessing is something that has come loose, was more pronounced when I had duff injectors. Still hear it now and then as the revs drop down to idle. After 3 years it still occurs with adverse effects.

6. Mine sounds nothing like that.
    I guess it can't be tappets. My old BMW had hydro tappets and sounded like a diesel on start up a few times, but it vanished in seconds as the oil got round. It sounds sort of plasticy. I have no engine cover in because the rubbers missing, I guess it might be the plastic slam panel. I might have a look this weekend if I get my wife to rev the engine for me. I am missing a few clips on those panels.

7. Yes it rattled aroun 1500-2000 rpm. The weird thing is that the rattle noise is now gone.. I guess it could have been a rock or something..

8. i have something similar as you describe, can only hear it as i drive away, sounds more like marbles in it somewhere, had a mechanic also looking at the pulley when did the cam belt but mine was fine. I suspect it's coming from the aircon pump, as mine run dry at some point last year, after i refilled it it was gone for a period, i forget that the noise was gone after the refill!
    If there's enough fluid in the pump it keeps everything lubricated.
    This is the problem on mine and i know my aircon runs empty slowly need to find the leak though, but for now i prefer spending money on getting the car to stage 2 ;-)

9. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Most of the engines do it wjen they get over 50k miles.

The top end / drivetrain gets a little noisy on tick over.

10. I did some hunting for the noise earlier with help and it's definitely coming from the head, so probably tappets, which I take are hydro?
    Is this something I should worry about and what can be done about it?
    i might try some wynn's tappet treatment.

11. Gray

Gray RSM Moderator

Yep, hydraulic tappets on our engine.

It's weird because I've never a 1*2 do it (practically the same engine minus turbo).

12. A what?
    Its never the diesel type sound you get when they're completely oil starved. The type you get when you start an engine then the sound quickly disappears.
    Always there when the revs are settling to idle. It's most notable when reversing/parking.

13. I took mine to Nick at Pure Motorsport and he diagnosed it as a noisey cam follower and said its nothing to worry about

14. What, if anything, can I do about this with just the cam cover off? It's getting on my tits now, I want perfection.

15. Best thing to do is get a metal bar such as a long extension bar and touch it on various components then put your ear to the other end. I have a similar noise that sounds like it's coming from the head but when I put a bar on the alternator and put my ear to it it's much more pronounced. See if it's the same on yours.

16. It's definitely not the alternator or any other ancillary. It's definitely coming from the head, I'd say cylinder one or two if face the facing reading from left to right.
    There seems to be the occasional misfire or knock when the cars left idling too, and a small oil leak to the left of the can cover.

E03476FD-A82F-4B3D-8AA3-86A98F13C73F-2803-000003B945703978_zps820bcf3b.jpg

17. Noisey cam follower

18. I know you said that's nothing to worry about but is it an easy fix with only the cam cover off? I was thinking of fitting a new gasket but tbh it looks like a ballache.

19. Its a big job apparently

20. The knock/misfire is pretty common. Usually means your injectors need cleaning. Mines the same.

If it is a noisy cam follower then no it's not an easy job. Your oil leak looks like it's from the oil separator which can be unbolted and sealed. But the actual cam cover can't come off unless you take the timing belt off. So it's a fairly big job.

21. I had the injectors cleaned in December, and there are no codes. It just can't be a misfire but there is a definite shake of the engine every ten seconds or so.

Cam cover can't come off? Who the fuck designed this engine? It should be ten minutes tops.

22. Yeah unfortunately the cam cover holds the cams in place. As soon as the cam cover comes off you can lift the cams out.

23. Is there a thread for changing the oil seperator?

24. I don't think so. Might be worth a search. But you basically unbolt the oil separator which his held on by a few 10mm bolts, clean the oil around the mating faces and use some loctite black silicone or similar around the mating faces and bolt it back down job done. Don't over do it with the silicone so that when it bolts down it squeezes out everywhere.

25. Would a different oil quieten it down? I'm using Fuchs Titan Supersyn 10W/40, it was changed less than 1000 miles ago.

26. Not sure if mine is the same as everyone else's; but mine is really tappy on startup for a couple of seconds, then (although much quieter) it stays permanently tappy and rises and falls with the revs.
    It is audible on idle and most noticable when I have the windows down and I pass parked cars etc. (allowing the sound to echo back).

I had the cambelt done, along with new injectors and plugs etc, not too long ago (at a dealer) so surely I should be able to rule those out?

27. On a side note... is 10W40 the right grade? I'm sure mine has always had 5W40 (or was it 5W30, I definitely remember 5W...) :/

28. 5w30, I had the same noise this morning, slight tap noise and the car running a little lumpy, I dropped the oil which had only done about 400 miles and put fresh in, it's quiet as a mouse now and very smooth, oil can loose it's viscosity very quickly and start to get very watery which in turn can seap out of the tappets causing said noise, try an oil change is my advice.:smile:

29. Change it for 5w30, I think that'll cure it

30. MicKPM

MicKPM RSM Trader RSM Trader

No, the correct grade is a fully synthetic 5w/40 to RN0700/0710

31. Cool I thought as much (always get serviced at dealer amd they used 5W40 fully synthetic) :smile:

Will see if an oil change cures it, fingers crossed.
    Now I just need to find out what is causing the 'twang' noise when tapping the brakes at low speed and I won't be convinced that the car is falling apart :wink:

32. Just realised my typo, oops, yes 5w40 is the correct grade....I was tired an it was late lol, mines been on this from new 150.000 miles later it's still perfect.

33. Does anyone know how much tappets cost (and if you can buy them individually or you have to buy them in sets) and how much labour is required to fit them?

34. Holy hell that's expensive! I checked up on them for my last car, as I thought it might be tappets (it wasn't) and that was only £230 for a 24v V6.
    How can they cost that much for 16? Are they made of gold? :/

35. MicKPM

MicKPM RSM Trader RSM Trader

That's nothing, wait till you get the labour bill to remove the old ones and install the new!

36. I know someone who used to run his own garage (but now rents it out) that still has the equipment and ramps etc. that could probably do the labour quite cheap.
    How long are we talking, in hours?

37. I might make a video of this sound for you guys. Despite being told its OK I still worry about this. I bet this will come up when I want to sell the car.

38. Be a good idea. We can get a better idea of what it sounds like.