Rack Trouble!

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by RS-James, Mar 3, 2014.

1. to cut along story short in the past 11 months ive gone through 4, yes 4 steering racks! currently on the fith one i believe, had so many ive lost count. im lucky to get 2-3 months out of a single 1. vague steering, wheel catches on suspension on full lock, something somewhere is going wrong.
    now my question is this surely isnt just dodgy manufacturing, i think there must be something causing them to do this?

the tracking has been done numerous times, there is no play anywhere at the front end, but ive had a constant problem where the car pulls left. the rack i have in now is of a different brand to the ones ive had previous, the pulling is less pronounced but is still there. had new hub bearings also.

just at a big loss as to what the problem may be, very very annoying having to get this problem sorted over and over. ready for pushing the damn thing off end of a cliff!!
    french garbage!

2. erenejar.jpg

Pic showing wheel catching on full lock. Current problem I have.

3. Who's been fitting them? Are they genuine racks?

Mark Black fitted me one last November for £260 I believe and I've not had a problem since.

4. they are all from mark, he has replaced everyone under warranty. even he must be fed up of it. if you have had no trouble it further confirms my car is causing them to bugger up.

5. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

Call me tomorrow fella
    I'll get it changed again,

6. ok, you still using mobile number ending in 6231?

7. Markblack@MRS

Markblack@MRS RSM Trader

Yeah pal

8. I hate to ask.... But has it been in a shunt? Could have caused the geo to be out of line and increased wear on other components?

9. That was my first thought too.

10. There's no record of one. 07 plate. An I've had it for 4 years.

11. if the drive shaft nut is loose it will cause this and make the car feel very odd.

12. Will get that looked at cheers.