R26 R26 Xenon conversion

Discussion in 'Electrical & Interior - Security, ICE, Wiring Loom' started by Korky, Jun 10, 2016.

1. Hi guys, I have tried to find a definite answer but have been unable to.

Can I install Xeon r26 headlights In to my r26 with regular headlights?

Regards
    KT

2. You can but it's fairly expensive if you use oem parts I.e. ballasts, loom, levellers etc etc, I think the actual headlamps may be different too. Most people don't use the levellers and it still works out massively expensive and not 100% road legal.
    The easier and cheaper option is to just had a hid kit

Sent from my HTC Desire EYE using Tapatalk

3. I have done this conversation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Can you detail the process and parts needed please mate?

Regards
    KT

5. Loom
    Levelers
    Headlight assembly

Swap loom, install levelers, swap headlights, get gass discharge turned on with clip ( I didn't bother )

Thats about it lol

6. Same yourself a LOT of bother and just fit an HID kit.

To fully clarify the MOT position on these ... If levellers and headlight wash are 'fitted'.. They must work correctly.

I asked this very question of the MOT a couple of years ago on an Evo8 that I had. (These come with HIDs but do NOT come with auto levellers or headlight wash).

That was the exact response I was given. ...

7. Hid kits have nothing on genuine xenons imo.

8. HID kit Vs HALOGENS, they have PLENTY to offer...
    And at £40(ish) the cost / benefit vs genuine xenon cannot be ignored.

9. For the price i agree. For the quality not so much

MilosB likes this.
  10. +1 for the HID kit.. cheaper & less hassle than xenons...

11. I originally went for HID's, they was okay, faded after a while, then did a xenon conversation.

12. I'd make up my own kit with standard 35w ballasts and quality HID bulbs (say Phillips).
    They don't fade!!

13. Kit?? With philips?! .. Philips does not make halogen rebase hid bulbs!
    And all of you who run hid in halogen projectors you run a very high risk of burning the projector bowls as the chep bulbs have no UV filter in the glass and the high UV burns the projector bowls which are delicate even with stock halogen bulbs which produse much less UV..

Also the statment that the difrence beetween halogen and hid kit is bigger then a hid kit and genuine hid setup is false...

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

L.maddern91 likes this.
  14. Apologies OSRAM not Philips...
    Try eBay no: 141082691227
    You're of course entitled to your opinion.

I have yet to see an engineering study on the comparison between stock HID's and an aftermarket HID kit...
    What was measured? And how is this determined?
    Is is purely light output?? Or is it light output after a certain age?. Is it beam pattern? Is it the reliability etc? If you have such a study, please share for all and the avoidance of individual opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15. First of all mine post is based on facts yours is an personal opinion.. Osram does not make Halogen rebased hid bulbs
    An original hid bulb (osram or philips) alone costs 40€ a peice. Thry to find that kit on their oficial site. You cant right ?! Or the bulb alone. You cant either! Right... An genuine osram ballast costs 300€ a peice..

Also that bulb base on the picture is a peice of crap.. e408be62247780d979cecc7c4d694fed.jpg

Here is an genuine osram hid hulb base. Which holds the tube in 0.05mm tolerance.
    94df6398596263eb54bc7495995e4dd3.jpg
    Look how it holds the bulb in...
    Also here is a short guide of fake vs genuine osram bulbs https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/fo...aa/57209-osram-d2s-cbi-real-vs-fake-with-pics

Now that we got that out of the way that yours is neither osram or philips (and is actually a cheap kit of 40$ just woth osram stickers sold for grater profit and bought by you an uninformed costumer beleiving everything they state on the lostimg)

lets get to the further facts.. Those cheap ass ballast dont output enought energy (wattage) to the bulb. An oem ballast outputs 35W of energy to the ballast, and as any elecronic device is not 100% eficient (ballasts are aprox 80%) they use 45W of power..
    These copies actually use 35W and output 27-28 W to the bulb!
    That is a mesured fact.. You can measure yours with an amp meeter. But please do it on the imput sside where the voltage is 12V (actually 13.8 to 14.5V when the car is running) and measure the voltage and current draw (amperage)
    Multiply those two numbers and you get the wattage... (also you might get 55W as it is a canbus sistem which mimics the halogem bulb that hase a 55W draw.. For sure your ballast is not 55W...

Here is the first fact. The difrence of oem vs copy ballast is 0.8 exacly as 28W / 35W is 0.8... So you already loosed 20% compared to a genuine hid setup..

Lets go further.
    An genuine bulb outputs 3200 lumens,
    No copy of the bulb (except made by the retrofit source but those last 4 times less) matched that output even on the genuine ballast. They usually output 2800lumens at best case. An that is at 35W.. That is 2800/3200=0.875
    An copy of the bulb running at 28W firs of all runs at wrong color temperature (much cooler that it is when at 35W) and gives actually les light. Aprog 0.8 of the light at 35W.. So at the bulb alone ypu are at 0.8x0.875= 0.7of the light output of the genuine hid bulb. That is 2240lumen aprox.. An halogen bulb is at 1600 lumen and as stated genuine hid bulb with genuine ballast is at 3200lumen.. So now tell me where is the bigger jump?

Not to mention the harmfull UV light that will fade the inside of the headlight that cant be polished out. And will burn the projector bowl which will look like this from the outside the glass looks milky like this one
    95ee0cc0396f3fb0e4d5531a194dc5e4.jpg
    And on the inside it looks like this.
    9f1490edc365ec70f79ac791550da659.jpg
    (this ones are not of an renault but they work the same and actually the stock ph2 headlighta are very prone even woth stock halogen bulbs which output less UV than these copy hid bulbs)
    A genuine bulb is made of special glass that filters all of the UV light out!

Now lets get in to the projectors.
    A hid bulb based projector has diferent optics, outputs much wider light patern, and much less light emediatly in front of the car than that of a halogen projector..

Here is my oem hid setup (only the projectors were changed for other oem but for bixenon type off an infinity fx35)

_7113887_zpsoboli5yz.jpg

_7113883_zpssr1quoyx.gif

_7113875%20Panorama_zps00jhoayz.jpg

_7113864%20Panorama_zpscsnl4rop.jpg

16. That's a nice big story.... And you make some good points...

My original post was on cost vs benefit.... Let's make it real simple..
    Cost of replicating OEM let's say £400... (Excluding labour)... After market.. £40.
    Is OEM 10x better??? I'd have to say no...

As for your technical explanations, some very valid points, others not so much.. I'll supply my CEng details via PM if required

Nice conversion using the bi-xenon Infiniti lights though... Huge improvement that over standard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  17. The biggest problem with using replacment bulbs i the fact they will most likelly burn the bowls..
    So you have to buy new headlights and now the investment osnt 40 bucs anymore rather than it is new headlights (to replace the ruined ones) and a new hid setup.

Im in xenons from 2003.. (yes at 13 years old) Been there wheen only dc ballasts were available (they output only dc current) much less bulb life, very sensitive to bulb startups. (where the storry started that the hid bulbs shoud be started as least time it os possible)
    Than came the AC ballasts and being available from wrecked cars in 2004 the hella 5D ones (the big brick ones, that light up bulbs today, after being submerged under water etc.. Very well built projectors) and bosch one cant remember the name. But they were sensitive to moisture.. I have invested in lighting equipment tottaly more than my car cost. The setup on my car cost me 700€ not including the ballasts and i still dont have the headlight auto leveling system.

Tho if wee look at the law. If the geadlight produces less than 2000 lumens (25W hid systems like on newest bmw X6, ford focus etc) does not require autoleweling and headlight washers. There are 2500lumen halogen bulb systems on cars that also have auto leveling.. The trough HIR halogen bulbs.

Regarding the CE, you dont have to. Look at the retrofit sourse halogen rebased bulbs, and look at the bulb base. And look at CNLight bulbs. Those two are the only good enought non genuine bulbs. Shorter life but no UV and very precise bulb position.

wsmdesign likes this.
  18. Ps:
    Please point out the mistakes in my post in my explanation

19. Jesus christ [emoji23] this is getting annoying. Hids are crap compared to xenons and for the money, im glad i did the xenon conversion and not waste my money on yet another pair of hids. [emoji849]

20. God one :smiley:
    Not that the xenons are not HID (high intensity discharge) hahah

21. So just to clear things up, if I get the loom and headlights it's a plug and play conversion?

Regards
    KT

22. Bulbs, ballasts, headlights and height level sensors. I think the loom is same (not100% sure)

23. Can anyone tell me where the level sensors are located?

Regards
    KT

24. One on the front arm, one on the rear arm Carn't remember if drivers side or passenger

25. Both are on the NS

26. Someone mentioned earlier about the looms being the same, is this a certain?

Regards
    KT

27. For the mk2 ph1 it is 100% diferent (diferent headlight connector etc), but i think fot the ph2 the loom is identical.

28. I think Milos should offer a Megane xenon kit of his own.... sounds like a knowledgable chap

29. I don't think my xenons are all that special either..not as bright as you might think

30. Has anyone successfully installed a bi-xenon projector in place of the original halogen one?

I've looked at a few forums and Morimoto mini H1 seems a popular choice.

This guy seems to have done ok

31. You need to open them up to do this - it's on the list for me. Have a spare set of headlights to practice on but is very very difficult to open up PH2 units. On the verge of giving up...

jeevez likes this.
  32. get some decent glasses for nighttime driving...cheapest option of all

33. I've just installed a pair of OEM Bi-xenon headlights in place of halogens on my R26. Bought a pair off ebay which came with ballasts and bulbs, although they were dirty inside so I decided to split them to clean them up. It's a lot of work since whatever glue Renault uses to hold the lights together doesn't fully loosen up with heat, so I ended up doing a lot of prying and scraping with a screwdriver, but eventually they came apart. After cleaning, sanding, and clear coating I resealed the headlights with silicone sealant and they looked as good as new.
    Fitting them is another matter. The headlights have 2 connectors, with the large power connector being identical between the halogens and xenons. However, the connector for the levelling motor has an extra pin and can't be used. I ended up leaving it unconnected for now and manually setting the lights to a safe level. Whether or not this will pass an MOT seems to be up for debate. I also tried to find some levelling sensors online but nowhere seems to sell them.
    In summary, fitting OEM Bi-xenon headlights in place of halogen lights is possible and not too much hassle, as long as you're ok with forgoing the auto-levelling. Sorry if I needlessly resurrected this thread, but after finding almost no information online about this conversion I wanted to share my experience.

Before and after pictures:
    image0.jpg image1.jpg image2.jpg

tof73 and Poppaboost like this.