R26 water pump

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by pint, May 26, 2016.

1. I had the car in with Renault today having a 12k service and a few other niggles sorted.

They've reported back to me, in their words "water pump leaking severely". Now, my car has shown no signs of overheating, the temp gauge never goes beyond the just off centre mark. I will admit i havent really checked the coolant levels lately.

Now for the hilarious part, to replace the water pump, belts and pulleys etc they have quoted me £1,275. :fearscream: That was after this discount....was over £1,600. Needless to say i laughed and said id look into getting it sorted.

I got the car back and they'd sorted everything id ask to be done. I had a look under the bonnet at the coolant level and well, i couldnt see in the bottle. Great, they could have atleast put some coolant in and charged me. So i went and got some coolant and topped it up. stayed for a while and saw no coming out the bottom under the car. Drove 15 miles home and left the car sitting for several hours. Just been out and the fluid is as it was when i topped it up and no sign of any leaks under the car.

So, if a water pump is severely leaking, when would i expect it to be loosing the fluid? Stationary or when in use?

I will monitor the level over the coming days.

Oh, and as for cost. Rentech have quoted £550 for the same work :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

2. my water pump was leaking, as whoever did the belts put the wrong screws/bolts in & pierced something.. water leaked out @ different rates, it would go days without losing any, then dump a load..