Sponsored By:  

R26 vs Meg'd Clio 197

Discussion in 'Track Days & Track Driving' started by bulardas, Apr 6, 2017.

1. Hello all,

I want to see the general opinion between what is a better base car for a track toy/N-ring joy. I'm fully aware this is a Megane forum and opinions may be biased in one direction, but I said worth asking.

I do like the Clio suspension layout more than the Megane one (adjustable rear, alloy front arms, 2nd gen front hubs...) but is this enough to make the Clio a better car. I think Clio will end up lighter as well.
    Power wise, we consider both cars running same mods and power, around 300hp mark. Problem is I can't see too many turbo Clio run on track and I wonder why.

What is your opinion?
    S.

2. -Jamie-

-Jamie- RSM Moderator

Quite a few meg powered clios being used as track toys.

Clio is probably the better chassis since we are comparing it to the Mk2 but then the Megane chassis is likely to be more suited to the Ring with it being a faster track that needs more stability. I know that applies to the MK3 anyway

3. Pick up a cheap and decent Clio that has already been converted and they are OK. Waste of money converting a donor Clio. Better off putting the money into an R26 which would give a more capable car for the same budget.

Some owners that have spunked large on a Clio conversion always get a shock when they try and shift them on thinking they will get their money back. Limited market, majority don't like converted cars.

Frimley111R and MilosB like this.