R26 - Vibrations and grumbling noise....DMF?

Discussion in 'Mechanical - Engine, Gearbox, Exhaust etc' started by justsomechap, Aug 30, 2017.

1. Hi,

I've recently started to get quite bad vibrations when the car is on tick over, which goes away when you pull off.
    The vibration varies and is sometimes much worse that others, it also sometimes comes in almost a wave of vibrations.
    It may be my imagination but I think there is also a rumbling noise occasionally on tick over

Does this sound like it could be the DMF on the way out or more like an engine mount?

Its a 2008 R26.

Thanks
    Nick

2. sounds more like engine mounts,,common problem on the mk2

3. Constant rhythm vibration at idle likely DMF, worn engine mount would cause engine to move under acceleration and possible clonk. Open one door fully, now can see exaggerated vibration, if end of door has excessive up down movement it's DMF

4. Had a quick look today and with the door open you can hardly see it moving at all.
    I also found that the rumbling noise I could hear is infact the engine cover vibrating so that's good!

With a bit of luck then it maybe the engine mount, any ideas which one is normally the one to go or is it best to just replace them all?

5. That's good news (relatively) to check mounts you'd need long bar and try lever engine around from above and below to identify worn mount

6. My renault tech mate changed the top left mount on a customers R26 in no time at all.
    Think i recall him putting a jack under the engine,then whipping it off in no time.

When he took it out,fluid was squirting out of it.

7. Had a lot of vibrations in my R26, rattles, wing mirrors shaking etc, all at idle. Changed all the engine mounts and it's so quite and smooth now. Cheap and easy fix.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

8. Thanks, I think i'll start with getting them all changed! Hopefully this will solve the issue.