R26 suspension refresh and clutch/DMF replacement

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, May 4, 2020.

1. Today's task
    To fit the new flexy brake pipes and refit the rear beam.
    the rear beam looked a little corroded so i have given it a coat of this stuff, bought it a while ago but haven't tried it yet.

49894539751_70ad17b038_k.jpg IMG_20200514_104935 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

before

49894024313_db6e693a80_k.jpg IMG_20200514_104508 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

After
    49894848507_0be3dd9267_k.jpg IMG_20200514_104925 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Car is all back together and i have been out for a test drive, i'm very pleased with the results
    Just needs a clean
    49895345886_ec38d70c6d_k.jpg IMG_20200514_154045 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

manugtt likes this.
  2. thanks for coating the beam ian..i was going to do the same.
    Back to the comedy wheel arch gap of OEM springs rideheight.
    But its overall a better bet for our roads than lowered springs.
    car was to unbalanced at speed on cooksports.
    Renault made them ride high for a reason..very much like the new alpine..

3. I did do the under side of the beam when it was fitted, did the top before as it was going to be a problem to do after.
    I know what you mean about having coilovers where you live, i do like the BC's on mine, but on my mk2 it was a bit hard o rough roads.

4. the R26 can carry so much speed on a B road..the damping was completely off with the aftermarket springs...Hitting the bump stops at high speed is not what you want!...With OEM you can carry that speed,and not be upset by bumps..

5. If that's what you want from your car then that sounds like the best option, if it works on our shite B roads then good on you, so you didn't rate the springs that were on there then for your mini ring roads :laughing::laughing:

Can't say i have ever hit the bump stops on mine, that i can remember anyway :neutral:

I will have to come up and try this road out sometime :laughing::laughing::laughing:

6. the cooksports would work on a track,or smooth road..but you take 35mm from the travel,and its obvious compromises have to be made.I am talking committed driving to bring out the lack of travel..Normal driving..it wouldnt be a issue.Had a couple of unsettled moments,,and that was enough!

7. its not a track car..so with 98% road driving..you dont relize how good the oem set up is until you fk with it.
    Mk3 is the same....for all round ability...you cant beat the oem set up..renault are the masters of judging suspension.

8. I have to agree with you to a point, for a road car yes, as a fast road car yes, as a track car yes to a point, first trackday i did in mine was Donington, everything was standard except for 595's, it did really well, i was also trying to get used to the car, brakes were okay didn't really go right off, but room for improvement.
    The whole cup setup thing is great for fast road, but that is not what i bought the car for, its only been used for that :laughing::laughing:
    Lowering the car works i most circumstances , especially on track, but with the Ring i leave the suspension settings the ame as i use on the road, or on a wet track, it's quite bumpy in places that circuit.

9. Had the tracking done this morning
    49897263876_e46c0ae72c_k.jpg IMG_20200515_103036 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

10. wow..well done mate...fair bit out then..but to be expected with new arms.

11. Too be honest it didn't feel much different from driving there to driving back, you will know what the difference is when you get it on roads you know.

What time is okay tomorrow afternoon for me to drop your car back ???

12. Andrew, I imagine that you want to collect your R26 now, after see those pics, rigth??:grin::grin:
    About the alignment, always surprise me the poor camber that Renault give to the RS in general.

andrewjeffs likes this.
  13. When i fitted cooksports couldnt get the shock out of the hub so removed the whole assembly an swapped the springs that way i invented new swear words that day an easyish job turned so bad it still keeps me up at night :sob: that was 2 meganes ago :tearsofjoy: thats how good these cars are they keep us coming back for more pain :weary::tearsofjoy:

14. I had to do it that way on my 225 when i first got it, won't do it that way ever again, just need a bigger hammer :laughing::laughing:

15. I used every hammer in my collection an still wouldnt budge :rage: i even thought about getting rid of the meg an buying a golf gti :fearscream: i would of burned it but couldnt get it off my drive as it was in bits :tearsofjoy: then i fitted the springs an drove it an all my anger went away :hearteyes: and only lost the use of my right hand for a week due to a missed hammer shot but it was worth it:tearsofjoy:

ianplymouth and Poppaboost like this.
  16. I always feel if I don’t come away from the car bleeding or with some other injury after working on it I haven’t been trying hard enough:tearsofjoy:

Azza and ianplymouth like this.
  17. Ohhh good it's just not me then :laughing::laughing:
    I have two holes in my head, 5-6 digs and cuts in my hands, i also have a big graze on my leg where the gearbox slid off of the jack when trying to get the box back in :cry::cry::cry: that hurt

Azza likes this.
  18. Yeah I bet that smarted a bit Ian, this all from working on Andrews car?

19. the nerve of some people!...i was smirking..until he said he dropped my gearbox!:astonished::grimacing::tonguewink::yum:

20. luckily ians leg softened that blow...that was a close one!

Poppaboost likes this.
  21. Well at least it was well away from your flywheel, i didn't want to go through that ordeal again :rage::rage:

22. I did cuss a bit, i did then make a plate to bolt to the bottom of the gearbox, that made it so much easier

23. Im just growing out a black finger nail now from fitting a new tailgate, on a mates piece of shit skoda vrs :rage: i also have a gearbox wound, well its a numb patch on my thigh where a nissan terrano gearbox tried to escape when re-fitting, luckily my leg stopped it that was about 8 years ago:tearsofjoy: oh i do love cars:tearsofjoy:

24. Hi Andrew
    I had an RPD delivery for me when i got home, many thanks :sunglasses::sunglasses:

25. :mask:..bit better than the standard mats in yours!..most of the drivers one was missing!
    talking of mats ian...guess what was stopping that clutch returning properly in my car?.....yep!

26. Was that all it was :openmouth::openmouth::openmouth:

27. ha ha..yeah!...matt was hooked in under the fkn pedal...pulled it down...boinggggg!

28. Bit hard to do at 110mph on the M5 :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

29. i have the fkn thing hook under the brake pedal before!..that was a laugh

30. That is why i cut that bit off of my mat, kept catching either on my shoes or the peddles, not good when pushing on on track :openmouth:

31. dont cut those fkn renault motorsport mats young man!..or there will be trouble!:anguished::disrelieved:

32. I won't, the ones that are in mine were the original ones supplied with the car i think, the bit on the left just wore out and it just flopped around :unamused:

andrewjeffs likes this.
  33. HDsdPTi.jpg
    4ntncx0.jpg
    R1Uqfv7.jpg
    6oBymhV.jpg
    CtQlCQu.jpg

manugtt likes this.
  34. HEL braided lines fitted front and rear,new lower arms struts and OEM Eibach springs.

35. Well after all this work,i can confirm the car is handling like its brand new....Which is pretty much is! with everything now been renewed.Not much on this car now thats original!

ianplymouth likes this.
  36. Looks good Andrew, good days work there :laughing::laughing::laughing:

37. Looks amazing man! The steering wheel is nice too. I hope you enjoy it a lot Andrew:wink:

38. i have owned this car for nearly all its life...i still think a handling R26 will be a match for most cars on a twusty road..

Azza likes this.
  39. Ill second that pal ive had most hot hatches an test drove many of the new ones an i just cant get away from the fact the r26 is just better yeah its not as quick an was under powered from the word go but it makes no difference when you chuck it down a country road, an ive had many a quick car get smaller in my mirror trying to keep up around the twisties only car ive had thats as capable is a clio had many of them too:sunglasses: