R26 suspension refresh and clutch/DMF replacement

Discussion in 'Megane Projects' started by ianplymouth, May 4, 2020.

1. ianplymouth

ianplymouth RSM Club Member

Also use plain disc's, as the grove ones are like cheese graters and kill the pads very quickly.

manugtt likes this.
  2. Ok! I´ll take on my mind for the next pads change. Thanks man!

ianplymouth likes this.
  3. HEL lines hopefully are on the way.I contacted kevin from KAM.He said they were being made at HEL.After he told me he had them in stock!Its been a wek now,so hopefully they have been posted.

4. ianplymouth

Okay, got some stuff turning up for mine as well this week.
    How is my car :confused:
    :laughing::laughing:

5. fine...did a circuit round my house of a few miles.All seems good.cars idling fine when warm.Just went far enough to warm it through.

6. i tell you ian,this yugo`s gonna suit you right down to the ground!..which is appropriate...as its been run into the ground:grinning:

7. ianplymouth

You didn't go around the mini ring with your mates then :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    That's good it's still running okay.
    Be back on yours again tomorrow :sunglasses:

8. ianplymouth

Sounds like you have had too much fun in it yourself, be a shame to take it away from you :laughing::laughing:

9. not with a 4k rev limit mate!..you got to change up just as the boost comes in!

10. its a quality motor.........a low quality one.

11. ianplymouth

I'm sure you could have kept up, its got a good heave of torque in the mid range :sunglasses:
    Boost comes in lower than that.
    On the top of the right hand stalk, there are two buttons, hold them both down for a couple of seconds and it turns on the \rs monitor, the button right at the bottom is the "okay" button, you can then see the boost gauge

12. ianplymouth

Its your spare car isn't it, just in case the Vauxhall breaks down :laughing::laughing:

13. Vauxhall run faultless for 2 years.theres nothing on it to go wrong

14. Engines out the ark.packing a mighty 115hp!

15. ianplymouth

thats Vauxhall for you, at least we have modern engines in our Meganes :cry::cry::cry:

16. ianplymouth

While the hubs were off i thought it would grease the lower bearing, removed the bolt and filled the hole with grease
    49883713051_0f852a1dec_k.jpg 2020-05-11_07-01-47 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Then screw the bolt in by hand, if the grease doesn't come out like this
    49884021402_a9b16adbf9_k.jpg 2020-05-11_07-02-02 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Then do it again.

17. ianplymouth

New roll bar bush's fitted, subframe refitted, suspension unit also fitted.
    Then there was the issue of fitting the track control arms, oohhhh that went easier than it ever did on my 225, refitted the drive shafts, the long one i replaced the bearing last week, now i hate standard suspension :laughing::laughing::laughing: to much movement, the hubs were so easy to fit to BC suspension, but with the 3 yards of travel in the standard shocks, i had to remve two of the strut retaining bolts a loosen the other, now the suspension unit can move to the side and i can fit the hub to the strut, then pushing the control arm down fitting it onto the arm :sunglasses:

So all that is left really to do to the front now is fit the bumper, disc's and the new Hel brake lines (they arrived today at 17.45) hoping to get that all finished off for tomorrow.

Then the rear end the day after, maybe :blush::blush::blush:

Poppaboost likes this.
  18. Going well Ian, what’s your labour rate:tongueclosed:

19. ianplymouth

£100 an hour :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    Even more for quality cars :sunglasses::sunglasses:

Well i'm sure if BMW can charge £117 + vat :astonished::astonished::astonished: and you get the apprentice to work on your car

20. ianplymouth

Why, what do you need doing :fearscream:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

21. if only..the F4RT lump goes back to the fkn 80`s..starting out in the Renault Fuego in 1700cc.

22. we did the swivel hub bearings about 2 years ago....the needlerollers in the bearing were seized solid!always interesting when you turn the steering wheel,and it wont turn anymore when it hit a tight spot!

23. ianplymouth

Two years ago, i think i changed mine before 2 years, well i drive mine anyway :laughing::laughing::laughing:
    Well there all greased up again so should be good for another 2 years at least :sunglasses:

24. ianplymouth

I knew that, when i was looking for big end and main bearings i saw that they were the same as lots of old Renault engines :cry::disrelieved:

25. caught mine just about in time...we could just about save the turrets from inside the roller bearing.
    many people will reuse fkd turrets,that will make those needle rollers fail prematurely..

26. ianplymouth

Well there's lots of grease in them now,

27. ianplymouth

Today
    Replaced the brake lines and fitted some Hel brake lines, caliper bleeds were corroded, went off with quite a crack when they let go, cleaned them and smeared with some grease.
    Managed to change the pipes and no bleeding required :laughing::laughing:
    Fitted the arch liners, cleaned the hub faces and the disc's, also drilled out all of the holes in the disc's, this is why i have plain
    before
    49887422513_b30d5f8d4e_k.jpg IMG_20200512_102312 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

After
    49888251052_b43b055588_k.jpg IMG_20200512_102808 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

The holes were filled with pad material, had this same problem on my Mercedes, they filled up and compressed that much that the brakes were very poor, couldn't be bothered in drilling them out so i bought new disc's and pads :laughing::laughing:

28. carbon pads i suppose dont do these type of disks any favors...just basically filling them with metal based particles!

29. i just found with the xp8`s..if you dont have some abrasion like holes or slots..the pads just tend to glaze over,and you lose bite.

30. ianplymouth

Yeppp had to drill every one out :laughing::laughing:
    the rears need doing as well, will definitely getting a photo of them :astonished:

31. ianplymouth

You need to change them when they are worn out, CL5's or 5+, or even CL6's :laughing::laughing:

32. ianplymouth

Bumper got put back on, under tray refitted.
    Then refitted all of the trim bits around the engine bay, wheels put back on and the car lower back onto the floor.

Then to start on the rear beam.
    disconnect all of the brake lines, handbrake cables, abs sensor cables.
    Everything was covered in mud, so dusty touching the pipes and cables just released more

it's out and on the floor waiting for the new bushes to be fitted (tomorrow) along with the new springs.

49888252562_91be95c4ce_k.jpg IMG_20200512_172430 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Also going to have a look at this and see if it can be repaired
    49887425578_85610f1656_k.jpg IMG_20200512_172644 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

33. probally you cleaning out those holes will make a big difference to the bite from cold...didnt relize they were clogged like that.

34. ianplymouth

hopefully, did understand what you meant when you said watch out for the brakes there really strong, :dizzy:

35. Oh my! But hold on...whats the point? Back to Andrew a NEW R26??:tonguewink:

36. Everything has been changed on this car now!..oem springs alone were £400!....I don't think they are available anymore now

manugtt likes this.
  37. ianplymouth

Todays job
    Change the rear beam bushes, quite easy to get out, the casing of the bush is plastic, if you wedge a screwdriver or a tapered punch between the bush and the beam cup, this then collapses the wall in and then you can drive the bush out with a hammer.

To get them back in i had to used a big thick washer as big as the new bush, a metal plate and some 10mm stud bar, smear the inside of the housing with some grease and wind the nut down the stud bar and it pulls it through.

Before, drivers side
    49891946131_bc776ea04c_k.jpg IMG_20200513_103953 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

Passenger side
    49892029601_74daceb555_k.jpg IMG_20200513_103904 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

and one of the new ones fitted
    49891511908_c5eb8081cb_k.jpg IMG_20200513_113055 by Ian Austin, on Flickr

also replaced the rear brake flexies

manugtt likes this.
  38. is that a tear in the drivers side ian?

39. ianplymouth

Looks like it doesn't it, you will have to try it on roads you know to see if that problem has gone, the M5 A38 didn't show it up :laughing::laughing:

I took it on a road i use for testing, i would be happy with it :sunglasses:

40. it handled ok ..but had definitely lost some of its unshakable road ability.
    hopefully with all these new items it will be back to rude health!